Post Award Coordinator
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Post Award Coordinator (Research Services Professional)
Position #733761 - Requisition 09637
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for a Post Award Coordinator. This full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position is responsible for all accounting activities related to clinical and lab research in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, this includes research grants, clinical trials, investigator initiated studies, and program grants. Sponsors include federal agencies, entities within the pharmaceutical industry, other universities, as well as foundations. This position will provide fiscal accountability for all research activities including: budget management, the post-award process, and any project close-out functions for approximately 75+ ongoing, concurrent projects. Additional functions of this position will also include: monitoring activities and preparing invoices; processing financial activities in CU systems; monthly reconciliations of expenditures and revenues on a per project basis, and performing all other duties and tasks as required and/or assigned.
Examples of Work Performed:
Activate Grant Accounts:
- Reviews notice of grant award with PI making note of any special restrictions.
- Requests creation of new account numbers appropriate to funding source and activity.
- Confirms that budget information is set up according to approved budget.
- Reviews rate and application of F&A costs for total budget and subcontracts as per sponsor's instructions.
Clinical Trial Accounts:
- Collaborates with the Clinical Research Manager, Clinical Trials Specialist, OnCore calendar builders, and Clinical Research Coordinators to ensure the financial information accurately portrays rates and prices in the negotiated budgets, all costs are properly accounted for, and negotiated budget terms are understood and billed correctly.
- Periodically reviews study progress, including patient enrollment information in OnCore, to generate accurate and timely invoices to Sponsors.
- Reconciles and analyzes cash with sponsor balances against budget, expenses, and revenue.
- Obtains, analyzes, and interprets financial reports; reviews data with the Clinical Research Manager and PIs as appropriate to ensure the accuracy of the data.
- Reviews and prepares project accounts for closure, resolves cash deficits and accounts receivable issues, and resolves outstanding issues.
- Collaborates with the Clinical Trials Specialist to maintain comprehensive working files of clinical trial project contract documents including budgets and amendments to ensure billing accuracy.
Contract and Subcontract Administration:
- Establishes subcontracts as per notice of grant awards with participating institutions.
- Facilitates the submission and payment of invoices in a timely manner.
- Works directly with Subcontractor, PI and Post-Award Office to resolve issues.
- Notifies PI of contractual issues and potential problems.
Payroll and Funding Distribution:
- Works with PI to establish correct funding and effort of personnel for each sponsored project.
- Reviews funding of department employees on monthly basis; runs payroll reports to confirm correct funding and distribution; investigates and resolves errors working with Payroll and Benefits.
- Makes funding changes each month per payroll deadlines.
- Works with Administrator, Division of Reproductive Sciences to prepare retroactive payroll expense transfers as per institutional policy and the PI's direction.
- Assists with completion and timely submission of ePER forms.
- Prepares quarterly reports for DFA, Administrator, Division of Reproductive Sciences and Clinical Research Manager that list budget and cash balances for all active grants and clinical trial projects, including any inactive grants/projects with outstanding issues, grants/projects expiring over the next fiscal period, and grants/projects submitted during last 6 months for PI and central administration.
- Attends local and national conferences and trainings regarding sponsored research programs.
- Creates, maintains, and updates process maps for all post-award processes.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position has been established at $41,374 - $55,165 and is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A bachelor's degree in business, accounting, finance, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- One (1) years of experience preparing detailed budgets, expense reports and financial projections.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis, but not the specific experience.
- Three (3) or more years' of professional experience working in government, non-profit and/or academic administration.
- Two (2) or more years' of experience preparing detailed budgets, expense reports and financial projections.
- Experience working with University software applications including m-Fin, CU Marketplace, and OnCore.
- Experience using integrated accounting, purchasing and payroll systems.
- Experience in pre- and post-award contracts and grant administration.
- Experience with clinical trial financial management.
- Experience managing payroll deadlines.
- Experience interpreting and applying policies from multiple levels of authority (federal, state, and institutional) and serving as a resource for others.
- Experience using spreadsheet, word processing, email and calendar software.
- Experience working with clinical trials management software, preferably OnCore.
- Experience with clinical studies calendar specifications and protocol / subjected related procedures.
Competencies / Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment requiring administration of 75+ active research projects.
- Organizational skills and attention to detail are of the utmost importance.
- Time management, independent thought, problem solving, and communication skills are essential.
- Demonstrated ability to self-manage priorities and be proactive in resolving issues.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a high level of tact and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a diverse community and with individuals at all levels of the organization.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.* REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Bethany Ginzburg at Bethany.Ginzburg@ucdenver.edu.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Research Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20249 - SOM-Obstetrics & Gynecology
Posting Date: May 23, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Bethany Ginzburg
Posting Contact Email: Bethany.Ginzburg@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00733761