Assistant Director III
Office of Disability Accom - 161540
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm
The Office of Disability Accommodation (ODA) at the University of North Texas exists to prevent discrimination on the basis of disability and to help students reach a higher level of independence.
The Office of Disability Accommodations Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Director to join our team.
The Director provides leadership, strategic vision, and overall supervision for a comprehensive program ensuring academic access and assistance for students with disabilities.
Specific responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Provides counseling and guidance to assists students with disabilities in their transition and adjustment to the university.
* Accepts and reviews disability documentation, and determines appropriate accommodations in the classroom and other campus activities.
* Administers the design, implementation, and assessment of programs in support of student learning.
* Evaluates, verifies, and interprets documentation from various professionals to determine eligibility.
* Manages relationships between the University and community resources.
* Provides interpretation and assistance in implementing the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Rehabilitation Act to faculty, staff, and administrators.
* Advises students, faculty, and departments on appropriate and recommended reasonable academic accommodations.
* Acts as intermediary between faculty and students for disability-related grievances.
* Manages budgets, reviews and approves expenditures, and monitors fiscal operations of the department.
* Develops and implements policies and procedures for the ODA office.
* Provides training to faculty and departments on disability awareness.
* Acquires, maintains, and coordinates the use of special equipment necessary for various accommodations.
* Participates in professional organizations and professional development activities.
* Works in conjunction with the educational computer labs in coordinating the purchase of adaptive technology.
* Collaborates with designated university committees in response and investigations of any formal discriminatory complains by students with disabilities.
* Responsible for establishing job standards for all ODA staff and insuring the effective evaluation of all office staff.
Work is performed under minimal supervision with a broad latitude for initiative and independent judgment and performance is based on the effective operation of the administrative function.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in related field and five years of professional related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Advanced degree (PhD or Masters) in a related field.
* 3-5 years experience in a university Disability Accommodations office.
* Experience managing professional staff.
* Experience with managing budgets.
* Strong knowledge of ADA and Section 504.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting