Circulation and Reserve Manager - Occidental College
Reporting to the Library Director, the Circulation and Reserve Manager manages circulation services including checkouts, reserves, AV equipment, and stacks maintenance. This manager is responsible for hiring, training, supervising, motivating, and evaluating student and shift staff. The incumbent communicates and collaborates with a variety of constituencies including other Library and Center for Digital Liberal Arts staff, students, faculty, and consortial partners. The person in this role sets the tone for the library experience at Occidental and addresses immediate complications or problems that arise for faculty, students, and other patrons using library resources and services.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND GOALS
- Provide excellent customer service to Occidental college patrons and guests by maintaining a service desk which is open 145 hours/week. Develop appropriate policies and practices for managing access to the facilities and for the circulation of books, journals, media, technology, and an array of loanable items. Oversee billing and fines as required.
- Efficiently manage the circulation desk tasks of the Occidental College library. Coordinate with the Technology Support Desk and the Media Service Desk to provide oxy patrons with one stop service.
- Oversee the maintenance of the open stacks and the general orderliness of the study spaces. Regularly track and support usage statistics for the physical spaces of the Academic Commons.
- Hire, train, and manage circulation desk supervisory staff
- Hire, train, and manage circulation desk student workers
- Manage the various reserve materials programs
- We value experience and ideas over formal credentials, but expect that a successful candidate will have a combination of education and experience that demonstrates strong knowledge of and experience with relevant library services, practices, and technologies in an academic library setting. A Master’s degree, a Bachelor’s degree and three to five years of library experience, or similar credentials are ideal.
- A minimum of two years supervisory experience is required, preferably with permanent staff.
- Must have a strong commitment to serving a diverse set of faculty and students.
- Must possess strong organizational skills and superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work independently, work in small group and team environments, and work effectively and creatively with a wide range of individuals.
- Should be energetic and able to carry equipment loads of 25 pounds.
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance