Human Resources Specialist
John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), is an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice, committed to the advancement of justice and just societies. It is a public liberal arts college that enriches the entire learning experience by highlighting themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Located steps from Lincoln Center at the cultural heart of New York City, the College offers bachelors and masters degrees and participates in the doctoral programs of the Graduate School of the City University of New York. John Jay College is also recognized for serving a broadly diverse student population. Under the leadership of its fourth president, Jeremy Travis, John Jay College has experienced unprecedented faculty hiring, an expansion of its curricular offerings, and the opening in 2011 of a new 600,000 square foot building complete with a black-box theatre, state-of-the-art lab space for students and faculty, a moot courtroom, and a variety of virtual learning settings. As evidenced by so many on-going developments, the College offers its many new faculty and staff the opportunity to shape the future of their institution.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Employee Engagement, the HR Client Services Specialist will be responsible for the following duties in addition to the responsibilities listed in the CUNY Title Overview:
- Administers processing of all part-time employment actions related to all employee classifications, including but not limited to new hire, appointment/ reappointment and separation process, and performance evaluation tracking.
- Oversees part-time new hire on-boarding process ensuring the completion of required documents in accordance with College, University, State and Federal rules, and guidelines.
- Manages Form I-9 and E-Verify employment verification administration.
- Supervises the activities of the HR Center, the department's first point of contact for prospective, current and former employees, which includes, in person, phone, and electronic employee services and administrative functions for HR transactions (record keeping and filing systems).
- Oversees the tracking systems for data integrity and accuracy for part-time employment to ensure compliance.
- Develops and participates in the part-time employment related workshops.
- Supervises full and part time staff.
Bachelor's Degree and four years' related experience required.
- Two years human resources experience in higher education with focus on recruitment and employee classification (of the required four years' related experience).
- Customer service approach with the ability to build relationships with all College employees.
- Must demonstrate excellent organizational, written/verbal communications, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Must be detail oriented and have the ability to multi-task with multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Knowledge of human resources information systems in a higher education entity and proficiency in Microsoft Office preferred.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Develops and administers processes and policies regarding Human Resources.
- Advises employees and managers on Human Resources policies and guidelines; provides a high level of customer service in assisting members of the College community
- Supervises and administers one or more human resources programs such as recruiting, pay administration, employee orientation, employee benefits, data entry and recordkeeping, and performance appraisal/reappointment practices
- Maintains an in-depth understanding of CUNY rules and regulations, relevant laws and guidelines, collective bargaining agreements, and College policies, and applies these to his/her areas of responsibility
- Investigates regarding sensitive employee issues or complaints
- Helps create innovative communications such as manuals, web pages, or employee meetings and provides these to the College community
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: HR Specialist
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$47,340 - $49,193
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing the job posting on any website other than CUNYFirst, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listings"
- Search by job Opening ID number (16806)
- Click on "more options to search for CUNY jobs"
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions
Once you have registered or logged in with your user name and password, upload your cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references as one document.
June 18, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: John Jay College
Job Title: Human Resources Specialist
Job ID: 16806
Full/Part Time: Full-Time