STEM Senior Academic Advisor - Two Vacancies
Reporting directly to the Director of the Academic Advisement and Transfer Center, the successful candidate will work with student services areas, including Registrar and Testing; will deliver and assist in coordination of academic advisement and transfer services to a diverse urban community college population; and work with a large number of students on an individual and group basis. In addition, the successful candidate will work closely with the Computer Information Systems and Media Arts & Technology departments in improving the retention and preparation of STEM students.
Including the CUNY Title Overview, responsibilities will include, but not be limited, to the following:
- Assist in the coordination of eAdvisement services, including academic and transfer advisement.;
- Provide academic and transfer advisement, using various media (including eAdvisement);
- Represent the departments at open house and student recruitment events;
- Facilitate transition orientation workshops, including FYE for STEM students;
- Facilitate transition for students between the professional and faculty advisors;
- Coordinate academic planning sessions for STEM students;
- Assist in the development of an online student orientation program for the Center;
- Conduct workshops on various topics, including time management, preparing for transfer, etc.;
- Assist in the development of an online academic advising training module for faculty;
- Assist with planning, scheduling and promoting academic advisement activities;
- Assist in coordination of transfer fairs and information sessions;
- Assist in the development of articulation agreements;
- Conduct academic audits for potential graduates; and
Evening/weekend schedule is required.
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
Master's degree and four years' experience in higher education preferred; advising and transfer service experience required; proficiency in word processing and spreadsheet applications essential. Must have excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides expert and/or specialized academic counseling a diverse student population.
- Offers comprehensive advisement to full-time and part-time students
- Works with other academic affairs staff as well as enrollment and student affairs to assist students to declare majors and select appropriate courses
- Monitors students' performances and takes appropriate action if necessary; resolves students' problems regarding curricular requirements
- Develops academic plans and performs graduation audits
- Provides information to students regarding student support services, college policies and program procedures and guidelines
- Facilitates workshops; assists with other department activities such as course scheduling
- Establishes and maintains student advisement files; prepares activity reports and analyses
- May supervise extramural activities, such as internships and community service; may assist with accreditation efforts as needed
- May provide career and transfer services and/or specialized program counseling
- May supervise junior advising and/or clerical staff
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Senior Academic Advisor
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary $49,193 - $61,593
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Access CUNYfirst Portal
June 23, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Borough of Manhattan CC
Job Title: STEM Senior Academic Advisor - Two Vacancies
Job ID: 16843
Full/Part Time: Full-Time