IT Senior Associate Level 1 (Provisional) - Department of Information Technology
I.T. Senior Associates perform highly complex professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Senior Associates perform a range of work in development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar functions depending on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include diagnosing, evaluating, overseeing and resolving highly complex projects. They have wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment and may serve in lead roles on complex programs or projects, and/or serve as a direct supervisor of a unit or group.
I.T. Senior Associates should demonstrate mastery of one or more technology-related disciplines, decision-making ability in situations related to those disciplines, and be able to serve as a resource in these areas. They may contribute to decisions on I.T. policies and technical standards.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
IT Senior Associate
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Reporting to the Application Development Manager the candidate will be responsible for the design, development and implementation of web-based applications that service the college community as well as work with a team to migrate existing websites and applications to a CMS site. The selected individual must be an adept data modeler and at ease with a variety of technologies.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Writes SQL to ascertain needed data and perform optimization to enhance existing systems and other administrative tasks.
- Manipulate and maintain data extracted to develop and/or maintain necessary shadow systems.
- Communicate with stakeholders to gather requirements/use cases and translate into technical specifications and designs.
- Analyzes systems/technologies and advises on technical requirements and maps to appropriate process for improvement.
- Researches new technologies, standards, and make recommendations for upgrades to systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), is an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice, committed to the advancement of justice and just societies. It is a public liberal arts college that enriches the entire learning experience by highlighting themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Located steps from Lincoln Center at the cultural heart of New York City, the College offers bachelors and masters degrees and participates in the doctoral programs of the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. John Jay College is also recognized for serving a broadly diverse student population. Under the leadership of its fourth president, Jeremy Travis, John Jay College has experienced unprecedented faculty hiring, an expansion of its curricular offerings, and the opening in 2011 of a new 600,000 square foot building complete with a black-box theatre, state-of-the-art lab space for students and faculty, a moot courtroom, and a variety of virtual learning settings.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- An equivalent of ten years of experience post-high school that can be met by one of the following: ten years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology related position; an Associate's degree plus eight years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus six years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position
- Demonstrated English Language proficiency
- A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
- Experience and expertise in architecting and administering databases such as MSSQL, as well as in writing clean and performant SQL. Familiarity with the PeopleSoft Campus Solutions data model preferred but not necessary.
- Experience with UX/UI and front end responsive frameworks such as Bootstrap.
- Experience working with code versioning tools, such as GIT.
- Practical knowledge and experience in content management (CMS). Drupal experience is preferred.
- Ability to solve problems and adapt quickly to new web and application trends.
- Well organized and able to effectively analyze and resolve problems. Ability to articulate goals and manage multiple resources and priorities.
- Experience working successfully both independently and with a variety of teams.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in an academic environment preferred but not necessary.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing the job posting on John Jay College website or in CUNYfirst, please select the "Apply Now" button.
If you are viewing the job posting on any other website, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listing"
- Click on "More options to search for CUNY jobs"
- Search by Job Opening ID number 16787
- Click on the "Apply Now" and follow the instructions
Once you have registered or logged in with your user name and password, upload your cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references as one document.
Posting closes June 18, 2017. Review of the applications will begin on May 29, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: John Jay College
Job Title: IT Senior Associate Level 1 (Provisional) - Department of Information Technology
Job ID: 16787