Financial Aid Specialist - Student Loans
The Financial Aid Specialist, at Kingsborough Community College reports to the Director of Financial Aid Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Administers Federal Direct Loan program, including all processing of applications, disbursements, and problem-solving all loan related issues.
- Administers all aspects of Alternative loans including certification, disbursing, returning of funds if necessary, and problem solving all loan related issues
- Provides individualized advising and assistance to students, including information and advice regarding types of financial assistance available, eligibility requirements, and application procedures.
- Perform verification process of student financial aid application information-including computer input and corrections, award and package federal, state and university financial aid in compliance with Federal & State regulations.
- Administers the proper and accurate return of any Direct Loan funds to the designated lender due to a change in a student's eligibility.
- Monitors the Federal Direct Loan programs and private alternative loan programs, including originating loans with COD, (Common Originator Disbursement), reporting disbursed loans with COD, reconciling all federal loans with COD
- Coordinates the Direct Loan Program; including submission and reconciliation of origination and disbursement records and resolving issues preventing origination and disbursement.
- Assists with phone coverage, advising all applicants, parents, high school counselors and/or outside agencies in regard to the completion of application materials, appropriate financial planning, dissemination of general financial aid information, handling and/or researching general status questions, and other financial aid related inquiries.
- Continuously improves the loan application process by updating information on the school website and the financial aid paper applications
- Attends on and off campus meetings to facilitate the implementation of new system changes
- Represents the Kingsborough Community College's Financial Aid office at loan committee meetings
Bachelor's Degree and four years' related experience required.
- Financial Aid Advising experience in higher education
- Excellent verbal, writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Ability to function well in an energetic and creative team environment
- Ability to work under deadlines with changing priorities
- Ability to write clearly and produce/edit accurate, well-organized, and understandable reports
- Ability to communicate effectively; ability to listen and respond to the concerns/ideas of others
- Ability to work on a team, as well as work independently
- Commitment to serving a diverse, urban student population
- Computer Proficiency
- Ability to travel to off campus sites for information presentations
- Must be available for extended evening and weekend hours and to work a rotation of evening hours as required by all staff.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Administers and supervises financial aid programs and operations.
- Reviews contracts, disbursements, tuition and fees; validates student eligibility for various programs
- Administers, monitors and troubleshoots CUNY financial aid systems as well as Federal and NY State systems in order to ensure integrity of student databases and timely and accurate delivery of funds
- Assists CUNY staff, applicants, and students/families with advice on financial aid issues and eligibility
- May review and reconcile student payroll processing
- Represents the Financial Aid function at Admissions events; works with academic departments as well as Bursar, Registrar, Admissions and Computing offices to assure staff understand and implement financial aid processes correctly
- Assists in the development and evaluation of Admissions processes
- Prepares documentation, instructions, and materials in various media to support financial aid activities
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Financial Aid Specialist
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID 16812 or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
June 18, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Kingsborough Community College
Job Title: Financial Aid Specialist - Student Loans
Job ID: 16812
Full/Part Time: Full-Time