Academic Senior Advisor - BMCC Learning Academy
Borough of Manhattan Community College seeks an experienced individual who has the ability to work independently and as part of a successful BMCC Learning Academy team serving a diverse student population. The ideal candidate will provide a supportive environment and have the ability to easily build rapport and professional relationship with students, staff and the community.
BMCC Learning Academy (BLA) offers to students an integrated and comprehensive system of support from the point of admission to graduation or transfer out. The key program features include a consolidated block schedule with high impact activities, faculty mentorship, comprehensive advisement, academic success workshops and connection to all student support services and campus resources. Further information is available at http://www.bmcc.cuny.edu/learningacademy/.
Reporting to the Director of the BMCC Learning Academy or her designee, the successful candidate will be responsible, but not limited to, the following:
- Cohort based academic advisement and registration of courses;
- Provide ongoing student academic support ;
- Monitor student academic progress, referring students to appropriate support services, if necessary;
- Work collaboratively with Student Support Services including, tutoring, mentoring, academic advisement, counseling, career services and financial aid;
- Monitoring and respond to Early Alert system;
- Conduct seminars and workshops on topics such as Liberal Arts Careers, Time Management; and Preparing for Transfer on weekly basis;
- Establish and maintain student files, databases and records;
- Prepare cohort enrollment and retention reports;
- May specialize in specific student group or major;
- Coordinate trips and out of classroom activities such as senior college trips;
- May supervise junior advising and/or clerical staff; and
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in related field (student personnel administration, higher education, social science, education, communication, counseling) and four years' related experience required.
- Experience working in special programs and/or a cohort model.
- Experience advising Community College students.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel and Access.
- Strong organizational, project management, communication, and facilitation skills.
- Experience with event planning and promotion.
- Detail-oriented multi-tasker with independent initiative and good judgement.
- Experience working in collaboration with students, staff/ faculty and administration.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides expert and/or specialized academic counseling a diverse student population.
- Offers comprehensive advisement to full-time and part-time students
- Works with other academic affairs staff as well as enrollment and student affairs to assist students to declare majors and select appropriate courses
- Monitors students' performances and takes appropriate action if necessary; resolves students' problems regarding curricular requirements
- Develops academic plans and performs graduation audits
- Provides information to students regarding student support services, college policies and program procedures and guidelines
- Facilitates workshops; assists with other department activities such as course scheduling
- Establishes and maintains student advisement files; prepares activity reports and analyses
- May supervise extramural activities, such as internships and community service; may assist with accreditation efforts as needed
- May provide career and transfer services and/or specialized program counseling
- May supervise junior advising and/or clerical staff
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Senior Academic Advisor
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary $47,340 - $81,855
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Access CUNYfirst Portal
June 21, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Borough of Manhattan CC
Job Title: Academic Senior Advisor - BMCC Learning Academy
Job ID: 16847
Full/Part Time: Full-Time