Senior Architect, #S05285
$70,844.80 - $95,784.00
Online applications must be received by Monday, June 20, 2017
Montgomery College, Rockville, Maryland, has need for a full-time, Senior Architect, #S05285, in the Central Facilities department. The normal work schedule is Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm.
The Senior Architect provides professional architect services to the College in the planning, design, and construction of College facilities. Responsibilities include performing architectural, engineering design, and project management services for assigned projects supervising in house designers; providing technical review for outsourced design services; and overseeing maintenance of the Facilities Information System by reviewing as-built documents provided by outside architectural and engineering consultants (A/E) once the project is completed before acceptance as Master Drawings; updating existing Master Drawings to reflect changes modified by small in-house projects; communicating and coordinating with the space planner to ensure that spatial utilization data is kept up-to-date; and assisting the College architect to maintain GIS systems, or overseeing others performing this work
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Prepare design/construction documents for assigned in-house construction projects.
- Meet with code officials to discuss in-house design projects when permitting is required.
- Review design/construction documents produced by architectural/engineering (A/E) consultants for conformance with design standards.
- Solicit and negotiate sub-consultant fee proposals as required by individual project design needs and present them to the College architect for acceptance.
- Verify the accuracy of submitted invoices from outside A/E or contractors and recommend to College architect.
- Meet with prospective clients to gather functional requirements of potential projects and prepare feasibility studies.
- Provide findings to College architect for discussion with College planner and director of project management before approval.
- Provide cost estimates to identify probable budget impact.
- Ensure project criteria follow sound architectural and engineering practices in keeping with regulatory and procedural requirements of the College and regulatory agencies.
- Assist in the management of in-house construction projects by: providing input in developing the construction schedule; providing periodic site visits and inspections to ensure that the constructed projects follow design intent; and resolving site conflicts which arise due to unforeseen conditions.
- Assist the College architect to identify and make assessments to deferred maintenance projects, planned lifecycle asset replacement, capital renewal, roof replacement, elevator modernizations, and site improvements needs.
- Provide drafts to project scope descriptions. Identify probable costs of projects.
- Provide technical support to ensure that all College design standards and other applicable codes and regulations are followed in the preparation of A/E designs.
- Make substantive contributions to update the MC Design Guidelines via "post mortem" review at the conclusion of projects.
- Bachelor's degree in Architecture or any combination of education, training and experience providing understanding of the field and the ability to perform the duties of the job, as permitted by the Maryland Board of Architects.
- Four years of progressively responsible experience from conceptual design through construction as a project architect.
- Maryland Board of Architect license or eligible for a MD license through reciprocity upon employment.
- Design and construction administration experience with commercial buildings.
- Considerable knowledge of building mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems.
- Knowledge of the principles, concepts and techniques of architecture as applied to the planning, design and construction of facilities.
- Extensive knowledge in full spectrum of architectural practices, i.e. planning/design skills, and in-depth knowledge of building sciences, and construction methods.
- Substantial knowledge of Green Building Technology, building sciences, building envelop, energy conservation, life cycle cost analysis, building, life safety, and ADA codes.
- Ability to perform full professional architectural planning, design, and construction services and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to oversee computer aided design (CADD)/ building information modeling (BIM), and as-built databases, install and update CADD software network computer's layering standards to maintain portability of CADD files within the office and between consultants.
- Effective communication, both orally and in writing, with all levels of employees at the College and with outside consultants and contractors.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
Candidates invited to an interview will be required to submit an electronic version (PDF) of their portfolio.
- Master's degree in Architecture, or related field.
- Five years of design and construction administration experience with commercial buildings with emphasis on higher education facilities.
Application Process :
- Online applications must be received by Monday, June 20, 2017
- To apply, please visit http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment .
- The application process includes 10 steps.
- Step 10 is a Summary of your information. You can update and edit information up to the closing date for the receipt of applications for a specific job announcement.
- For consideration, you must:
- Include dates of employment in your application or attachment;
- Complete a set of pre-screening questions (Step 4); and
- E-sign your application. (Step 9)
- Candidates invited to an interview will be required to submit an electronic version (PDF) of their portfolio .
Failure to complete the pre-screening questions or to e-sign your application will automatically result in your elimination from consideration for this position.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire :
- Successful completion of a background check
- Participation in a retirement plan
- Submission of an official transcript of the degree required for the position
Note: This recruitment effort can take 6-12 weeks (from the deadline date) to fill.
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace.
For disability- related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353 or send an email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance.
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.
Job Facilities, Maintenance & Security
Primary Location US-MD-Rockville
Organization Facilities Administration
Job Posting May 21, 2017, 11:00:00 PM
Unposting Date Jun 5, 2017, 10:59:00 PM