INTERIM, PRESIDENT, EVERGREEN VALLEY COLLEGE (Up to One Year)
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
INTERIM, PRESIDENT, EVERGREEN VALLEY COLLEGE (Up to One Year)
Position #: 1700057
Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Transcript Master's Degree (Must include Award/Confer Date)
INTERIM MANAGEMENT EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
First Review Date:
Evergreen Valley College
Salary, benefits, length of contract and other terms and conditions of employment will be competitive and negotiable. Mutual agreement will be made on the terms of employment and the start date.
This is an interim assignment as President, Evergreen Valley College. The position is full-time to end with the permanent hire of the next Evergreen Valley College President. This is an academic management position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
NATURE and SCOPE The interim president will lead the college and address the following: 1. Provide leadership to a college dedicated to addressing the needs and rights of a highly diverse, urban community. 2. Demonstrate success as a collaborative, visible, and decisive leader who makes informed decisions using sound data, fosters cohesiveness, and rallies the college around shared directions and priorities. 3. Champion an institutional commitment to student equity of access and outcomes and to social justice. 4. Lead a strategic planning process that guides new programs and services, and bring a global view and perspective to college-wide discussions and priorities. 5. Lead the college accreditation process and participate in statewide initiatives. 6. Encourage innovative programs and services to address the growing educational requirements of an increasing number of students entering the college with developmental needs. 7. Provide leadership for a significant number of capital construction and renovation projects. 8. Provide fiscally responsible leadership to manage the college. 9. Increase the visibility of the college in the City of San José and in Silicon Valley. 10. Develop and increase partnerships with K-12, other higher education institutions, business and industry, and the community. 11. Increase degree completion rates and improve academic programs and support services to prepare higher numbers of successful transfer students to four- year colleges and universities. 12. Expand the college's analysis of data to make informed institutional decisions. 13. Interpret program and course data to make qualified enrollment management decisions. 14. Integrate institutional priorities, program review, enrollment management, and budgeting in the shared governance strategic planning process.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
IDEAL CHARACTERISTICS 1. A self-confident, inspirational leader who will be actively involved in the life of the institution, build trust, understand both academic and student affairs, and work collaboratively to establish the direction for the college. 2. A leader with a demonstrated history in the development of innovative programs and services designed to promote student success and meet the needs of a highly diverse student population. 3. An individual with demonstrated successful experience in narrowing achievement gaps within a diverse student population. 4. An individual with a demonstrated commitment to achieving social justice. 5. An educator and scholar who inspires intellectual curiosity and academic integrity at all levels of the institution. 6. An effective communicator who supports and respects the work of all employees. 7. An individual who understands and appreciates the role of a college president in a multi-college district.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Master's degree from an accredited institution, doctorate preferred.
2. At least three years of progressive and successful senior administrative experience in education, higher education preferred.
3. At least three years of experience working primarily and directly with students.
4. Effective leadership experience working with historically underrepresented and underserved groups.
5. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve ;and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
6. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
1. Typical office environment.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2016, with enrollment of approximately 16,000 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 41%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 1%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse group of managers, supervisors and confidential staff consisting of 30 % Hispanic/Latino, 16% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 47% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities