Student Accounts Receivable Coordinator
Student Accounts Receivable Coordinator
About Mills College:
Located in the foothills of Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a nationally renowned independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for women and men. Since 1852, we've been empowering students to become creative, independent thinkers who take and inspire action. For more information, visit http://www.mills.edu.
Job Status: Full-time
Reports to: Student Accounts Manager
Summary of Position:
This position serves as a staff member of the M Center, a one-stop student administrative service unit handling the academic records, financial aid and student accounts functions of the College. Under the direction of the Student Accounts Manager, the incumbent of this position is responsible for the implementation and completion of daily responsibilities in the Student Accounts area. This individual will work with the Student Accounts Manager to assure processing of charges and payments related to student tuition and fees and update student financial records.
Essential Job Functions
- Handle Student Accounts functions including management of individual student caseload, posting charges, adjustments, late fees and medical waivers on student accounts, loan and payment plan reconciliation, coordinating eBill and packet distribution for new and continuing students, processing routine transactions and answering general questions.
- Create and update billing table set-up on BANNER system for off-term semesters. Audit and review for proper system adjustment on tuition and fees and make corrections as necessary. Contact SIS support as needed.
- Provide financial counseling for parents and students regarding payment options and payment plans with authority to negotiate special arrangements in special situations and direct complicated or escalating situations to the supervisor.
- Contact and initiate the settling of student account balances in escalated or special situations.
- Develop communication tools to educate prospective and current students and families about their account charges and financial aid.
- Audit student accounts to assure accuracy and resolve discrepancies.
- Process refunds
- Meet with students to address late fee and payment plan issues.
- Process fees and waivers as assigned by departments on campus.
- Compile data and produce IRS form 1098-T Tuition statements.
- Coordinate third party billing needs.
- Processing of refunds as necessary.
- Play a key role in developing financial literacy communication to students and parents.
- Assist with the staffing of orientation programs and workshops throughout the year to educate students and families on the student accounts process.
- Support management of the CASHNet system through testing and feedback.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Support and enhance financial literacy objectives through staff and student workshops and outreach events.
- Share team responsibility for answering general questions and processing routine transactions as related to academic records, student accounts and financial aid in lobby and by phone. Resolve general issues and problems or refer to appropriate personnel to ensure highest level of customer service.
- Understand and counsel students regarding federal, state, and institutional financial aid concepts and policies.
- Coordinate preparation of unpaid account for transfer to Collections unit.
- Working closely with financial aid staff to streamline joint procedures and disbursement of aid.
- Conduct training sessions for outside staff.
- Maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office Suite especially Excel and experienced in financial database systems.
- Knowledge of Title IV rules for the Perkins Loan Program & FERPA rules a plus
- Excellent public relations, oral and written communication and ability to communicate sensitive and/or complex information in a confidential and straightforward manner.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and maintain effective customer service toward all persons contacted during the course of job performance.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Ability to perform queries, with the ability to manipulate a large amount of data with high level of accuracy and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask and manage time and priorities to meet deadlines.
- Basic accounting skills.
- Proven diagnostic, problem-solving and organizational skills.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree.
- 3 years combined experience in Student Accounts, Accounts Receivable, Collections or financial/accounting field.
Compensation is commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance/403b retirement plan; 10 days of vacation accrued the first year of service with an additional day of accrual each additional year of service up to a maximum of 22 days; 12 sick days and 10 paid holidays annually. Vacation and sick pay are accrued in proportion to the job status of the position. Staff also receives free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is available after an introductory period.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other applicable state and federal laws. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to: http://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php
To apply,please submit the following at http://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=72276
- cover letter
- contact information for three professional references
Internal Mills Applicants: Please submit a Memo of Understanding in lieu of a resume, cover letter, references or application.
There are no relocation funds available for this position.