Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
Posting Number: S00871
Benefits Eligible?: Yes
Hiring Minimum: $21.75
Location: MIIS at Monterey Main Campus
Hire contingent upon successful completion of the following post-offer screening: Criminal Background check
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director, the Reference Librarian provides research assistance to students, faculty, staff and other library users. The librarian uses his/her expertise to teach research skills, and assists with collection development. The librarian manages interlibrary loan services and assists in the circulation department.
The librarian is also a liaison with MOBAC committees as assigned. As part of the Public Services team, she/he will contribute her/his individual skills and expertise as needed in order to help the team achieve its objectives. Every member of the Public Services team will communicate professionally, clearly, and in a manner appropriate to their internal and external customers. This is a full time staff position including weekend and evening duty.
• Provides research assistance to students, faculty, staff and other library patrons
• Provides information literacy instruction through orientations, workshops and individual reference assistance
• Prepares and maintains web research guides
• Participates in collection development in collaboration with the Collection Development Committee.
• Serves as liaison to MOBAC Reference and Interlibrary Loan Committees. Develops a strong participatory relationship with assigned MOBAC committees.
• Manages interlibrary loan services. Oversees ILL workflow and training needs. Coordinates with Middlebury interlibrary loan staff.
• Assists with functional supervision of library graduate assistants in coordination with the circulation library assistants and the Assistant Director
• Oversees library operations during evening and weekend shifts when no other staff members are present
• Assists with circulation services
• Assists with maintenance of photocopiers, computers and printers
• Assists with the processing of reserve material
• Assists other staff as requested, particularly during intersession and summer
• Maintains expertise by staying abreast of emerging trends in reference librarianship
• Documents and interprets policies and procedures
• Works in a fast-paced/multi-tasking environment
• Prioritizes tasks and responds positively to unanticipated changes while exhibiting flexibility under demanding circumstances
• Complies with copyright law as it applies to academic libraries
• Actively participates in collaboration, teamwork and judgment in establishing priority and individual responsibility in the course of providing library borrower, circulation, reserves, interlibrary loan, and information services
• Maintains reference and instructional session statistics
• Maintains a close working relationship with all library staff
• Maintains confidentiality of library records and contact information
• Collaborates with other members of the Public Services team to ensure that the public and staff areas are safe, clean, well maintained and inviting to users. Responds efficiently and properly to any issues that arise in regards to the facility
• Actively participates in meetings, training, staff and departmental development
• Utilizes and fosters use of shared departmental folders, mailboxes, distribution lists, websites and calendars to facilitate communication
• Other responsibilities as required to assist the Public Services department in accomplishing its mission; flexibility to adapt to the changing needs of the department and the library
• MLIS from an American Library Association accredited library school
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent written and interpersonal skills; enthusiasm for learning.
• Ability to work in a team-oriented environment is required
• Self-motivation and the ability to work independently after training
• Strong commitment to providing excellent customer service
• Good organizational skills and attention to detail
• Knowledge of print and online reference resources
• Experience with Microsoft Office and integrated library systems [knowledge of Millennium, OCLC, ILLIAD and web searching preferred]
• Competency in basic maintenance of library machinery
• Ability to provide functional supervision of library graduate assistants
• Willingness and ability to comply with Monterey Institute's policies, procedures and mandates
• At least two years of previous library reference experience is preferred
• Experience working in a desktop computing environment is required
• Bibliographic instruction experience is preferred
The Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey maintains a smoke-free workplace and complies with the Federal Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act and Drug-Free Workplace Act.
Position requires light to moderate physical effort and the ability to work at a computer keyboard for extended periods of time.
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please complete an online application and submit all required documents.
- Cover Letter
- Resume/C V
Apply now at https://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/postings/15286