Director of Admissions
Fort Lewis College is accepting applications for the position of Director of the Office of Admission. This position is a full-time, exempt staff position that reports to the Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management. Targeted start date is August 2017.
Fort Lewis College is a four-year institution in the State of Colorado higher education system. Current enrollment is about 3,600. The student body is culturally diverse, reflecting the population of the Southwest. More information about the College can be found at our web site: http://www.fortlewis.edu
The College is currently engaged in a strategic change process to develop and implement a new value proposition to grow enrollment. The new value proposition will leverage the College’s professional programs, a liberal arts foundation, the co-curriculum, and a personalized, primarily face-to-face, learning environment. Traditional freshmen and transfer students are the primary targets.
This strategic initiative presents the Director with an exciting and challenging opportunity to work in close collaboration with senior administration, the enrollment management leadership team, and marketing staff to bring the new value proposition to market in Colorado and selected Western regional metropolitan areas.
The person prepared for this opportunity will have competency in developing and maintaining a research program, applying Sales 2.0 concepts and practices, and developing and motivating admission-based and campus-wide recruiting teams.
The Director plays a key role in the Enrollment Management leadership team alongside a Senior Enrollment Research Analyst, Director of Financial Aid, the Registrar, and the Director of International Programs.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Equivalent of 5 years of progressively responsible leadership and management experience in undergraduate student recruitment or related field.Must have at least 2 years of supervisory and budget management experience
- Knowledge of student financing, enrollment marketing, and recruiting concepts and best practices, recruiting technologies, and the vendor services
- Ability to develop and maintain a systematic marketing research program to support recruiting decisions
- Experience in developing, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating plans to achieve recruiting goals
- Strengths in analytical and creative thinking
- Excellent written, interpersonal, and public speaking skills
- Expertise in data analysis
- Strong technology skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Ability to operate effectively in a dynamic change environment
- Ability to travel and work evening/weekend hours
- A valid Colorado driver's license must be obtained no later than 30 days after the first day of employment
- Master's degree
- Experience in recruiting undergraduates for professional programs
- Experience in developing and organizing faculty and staff to support undergraduate recruiting
- Oversee day-to-day activities of Office of Admission
- Develop and implement enrollment marketing and recruiting plans to achieve undergraduate enrollment goals
- Hire, develop, organize/structure, motivate, and evaluate recruiting and admission operations staff
- Current direct reports are Associate Director (recruiting), Assistant Director (admission operations), Campus Visit Coordinator, and Communications Manager
- Manage all aspects of the enrollment funnel - conversion of inquiries to applicants, and applicants to matriculants
- Create and prepare reports on process metrics, outcomes, and ROI related to the plans
- Represent the college to a variety of constituencies
- Coordinate and collaborate with directors and staff across the College's divisions
- Manage the enrollment marketing and recruiting budget
- Ensure compliance with accreditation, federal, and state requirements related to recruiting and admission
- Other duties as assigned
Salary range is $90,000 - $100,000, depending upon experience, plus a comprehensive benefits package.
A complete application packet includes:
- Cover letter addressing how you meet the minimum and desired qualification for the position and your ability to carry out its duties.
- Please address in detail your knowledge of student financing, enrollment marketing, recruiting concepts, and best practices.Also include your experience with specific recruiting technologies and vendor services.
- Names and contact information for three current, professional references
- Finalists invited for a campus visit will be expected to prepare a presentation on an assigned topic
Submit materials as one PDF file via email:
Chair of Director of Admission Search
Associate Vice President for Finance and Administration
Fort Lewis College
Application materials received by June 30, 2017 will receive full consideration. Position will remain open until filled.
The successful candidate will be required to submit original, official college transcripts, and pass a background check.
Fort Lewis College does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political beliefs, or veteran status. Accordingly, equal opportunity for employment, admission, and education shall be extended to all persons. The College shall promote equal opportunity, equal treatment, and affirmative action efforts to increase the diversity of students, faculty, and staff.
About Fort Lewis College and Durango
Fort Lewis College is Colorado's public liberal arts college, offering baccalaureate degree programs in the arts, humanities, social sciences and natural sciences as well as professional programs in applied sciences, teacher education, and business administration. The college has a diverse student body with an enrollment of about 4,000 from 46 states and 22 nations, 24% Native American, and 11% Hispano.
The campus is located on a mesa top at the foothills of the San Juan Mountains as it converges with the desert Southwest. The College contributes directly to the cultural and economic vitality of the area.
Durango is the hub of Southwestern Colorado, situated in a beautiful mountain valley with nearby peaks reaching 14,000+ feet. A mild four-season climate allows numerous opportunities for skiing, fishing, biking, golfing, etc. With an area population of 45,000, Durango is cosmopolitan for its size and is served by major airlines with direct connections to Denver, Phoenix, and Dallas. It is 3.5 hours driving distance from Albuquerque, N.M.