Assistant AD, Video & Multimedia Production
University of Delaware
Job Title Assistant AD, Video & Multimedia Production
Job ID 104634
Location Newark, DE
Pay Grade: 30E
Deadline: Open until filled
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under the general direction of the Associate Director of Communications and Digital Strategy, the Assistant AD, Video & Multimedia Production is responsible for the creation, implementation and management of unique editorial, multimedia and sponsored content for the official website and social media platforms of the University of Delaware Division of Intercollegiate Athletics. This position will be charged with increasing Delaware's video and multimedia presence online and with producing live home events for broadcast/web streaming and video boards in addition to video feature and storytelling projects. The Assistant AD will oversee the video production team and support staffing efforts and allow for the development, creation and maintenance of the Division of Athletics' multimedia and production projects to protect and promote the image and branding of Delaware Athletics.
The Assistant AD will function as both a team manager but will also execute a wide variety of broadly based video programming and content for the External Relations area in Intercollegiate Athletics. Alongside the Associate AD of Communications & Digital, he/she will also help develop and implement strategic plan related to department video programming and initiatives and serve as a public contact for this area. Contacts are both inside the unit (coaches, administrators and staff) and outside the unit (vendors, partners, businesses, Alumni, Development, OCM and parallel staff members at other intuitions). This position will serve all sports as fully as possible. In addition, the Assistant AD works cooperatively with all personnel in External Relations to develop joint opportunities that will result in University wide benefit.
35% - Directs, produces and coordinates team for broadcast/streaming content and video boards at home athletic events and select outside events held at the athletic complex.
- Develops strategy for sporting event highlights and distribution, press events, selection shows and other special events; as well as, feature content to highlight sport programs, facilities, etc.
- Directs, oversees and coordinates the day-to-day operations of the video boards at all athletic facilities as well as digital TV boards and displays at other facilities.
- Develops strategic plans in terms of equipment and operating budgets of the multimedia department. Oversees start-up and replacement budgetary responsibilities for multimedia equipment and will inventory and monitor equipment lifecycles and forecast emergent technologies and trends. Collaborates with Associate AD of Communications and Digital Strategy in development of plans, outlines and projections for future revenue-generating possibilities including subscription models, OTT programming, sponsor and sales opportunities, etc.
- Manages the multimedia office environment and storage for expensive and sensitive video equipment such as cameras, computers, software and cables.
- Develops and leads a plan to build out hardware and infrastructure to support ESPN 3 level in-house production.
- Ensures compliance with all laws and NCAA regulations governing promotion of student-athletes as well as internal Delaware rules and regulations on video distribution/ usage.
- Promotes user/fan satisfaction with the multimedia efforts of the department at events.
- Manages and controls inventory associated with event operations with ensuring the adequacy of facilities for infrastructure and television/ network capabilities.
35% - Produces online video content for Delaware Athletics in regard to storytelling features, season previews and recaps, event highlights, original live and on-demand content series and pieces, and promotional items. Helps set team strategy for video production series and storytelling in collaboration with the Associate AD.
- Directs and oversees the day-to-day operations of the multimedia content on bluehens.com and video content capture and distribution for our 21 sports for departmental use on website, social media, newsletters, and in other venues.
- Develops protocol and policies and provides advice on the development on best practices and use of outside software and video groups for capturing game content for league and NCAA mandated programs.
- Provides coverage of all major events video - both broadcast/streaming and feature storytelling - including Fandemonium, Season Kick-Offs, Pep Rallies, Future Hens Club events, Signing Day, Donor events, as well as team outreach efforts in the community.
- Creates, produces and posts video and audio features, including conducting on-camera interviews and co-hosting athletic-related video and audio series.
- Oversees the production and development of online programming, including web streaming, live press conferences, behind-the-scenes features, and video reports.
- Coordinates with corporate sales department to execute online deliverables for corporate partners as well as with Athletics Development on promotion and coverage of events.
15% - Helps implement and control a comprehensive staffing plan alongside the Associate AD, which includes a full time video production coordinator, paid broadcast intern, and 20-25 student volunteer digital production interns to effectively staff all video production needs.
- Collaborates with the Associate AD to recruit, hire, train, schedule, supervise, and evaluate video production staff, volunteers, student workers, and announcers (both play-by-play and color).
- In collaboration with the Associate AD, leads the development of an in-house production team to produce ESPN 3 quality broadcasts and high-quality storytelling content for the website, social and other communications channels.
- Oversees game day staffing for broadcast productions and highlights.
- Ensures compliance with applicable policies and procedures governing University employees, including collective bargaining agreements.
- Oversees and maintains a robust student volunteer intern program via relationships with the communications department onsite.
- Manages payroll functions for video production staff and freelancers. Ensures that appropriate time-keeping and Human Resources procedures are followed. Resolves payroll issues.
- Develops and maintain positive relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the community.
15%- Actively plans and implements the historical archiving of content and maintain/budget and plan for technological cycles of innovation and replacement functions.
- Establishes and maintains a networked storage solution for the department of athletics to manage its content with an eye toward historical archiving and storage.
- Recommends and manages expenditures of multimedia budget to enhance public awareness, increase internet traffic and enhance event attendance.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Serve as video liaison between Delaware Athletics and the CAA for various broadcast and integration opportunities.
- Collaborate with partners in UD Office of Communications and Marketing as well as University Media Services to ensure that units coordinate efforts efficiently and effectively and comply with University standards.
- Collaborates with the Social and Digital Coordinator to ensure necessary photography is captured for video support.
- Bachelor's degree in audio/visual communications, design, production or journalism communications and four years' related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Managerial experience and proven success in helping build a video production team of diverse staffing, including full time professional video coordinators and unpaid student support.
- Proficiency with video production software such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut. Avid non-linear editing, Adobe After Effects/ Premier/ Creative Suite and NewTek platforms.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software and other software such as Cinema4D, Adobe Audition and Adobe SpeedGrade, Apple Motion, Wirecast, and ATEM software.
- Expertise and mastery of the video production process, camera operation, different camera and lens types, proper filming techniques, lighting design, microphones and the post-production process
- Experience with live event production.
- Strong knowledge of current and emergent audio/video technologies, web architecture, online design and live streaming, multimedia communications and video production are essential.
- Experience with in-game statistical programs (The automated Scorebook/ Stat Crew) and their relevance to in-game coverage.
- Knowledge of digital/social media applications and experience with Final Cut or other applicable editing software.
- Ability to apply web design principles and techniques to the creation and enhancement of integrated, complex websites.
- Highly motivated, proactive, energetic, creative and positive.
- Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Significant independent judgment and self-motivation.
- Ability to use independent judgment to gather, manage and impart information to various internal and external audiences.
- Ability to create, compose, edit video scripts and storyboards, and perform editorial research.
- Ability to work independently, attention to detail, ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Willingness to comply with NCAA regulations.
- Ability to work extended hours beyond the typical business day, nights and weekends throughout the academic year, when required.