RESEARCH PROJECT MANAGER
Duties: The Quattrone Center for the Fair Administration of Justice at the University of Pennsylvania Law School is a national research and policy hub created to catalyze long term structural improvements to the U.S. criminal justice system. The Center takes an interdisciplinary, data-driven, scientific approach to identifying and analyzing the most crucial problems in the justice system, proposing solutions that prevent error and improve fairness to benefit society. Its research and programs are independent and unbiased, engaging all parties; academia, judiciary, law enforcement, defense and prosecution, legislative, forensic and social scientists, media and other participants - required to effect substantial change for the better.
Housed at the University of Pennsylvania Law School, the Center draws on Penn's unrivaled interdisciplinary strengths, involving in its work scholars from related disciplines across the Penn campus, including Business, Communications, Criminology, Engineering, Medicine and Public Health, and Social Sciences. By integrating world-class scholarship from across the University with the perspectives of nationally prominent practitioners, the Center analyzes and makes recommendations that will shape public deliberations and improve the fairness of our legal system.
The Research Project Manager is responsible for participating in, and sometimes managing, research projects and collaborations in partnership with the Directors or Affiliated Faculty of the Quattrone Center for the Fair Administration of Justice. This will include participating in the overall conceptualization, planning and execution of a coordinated program of scholarly and scientific research for the Quattrone Center.
The Research Project Manager, who will report to the Executive Director of the Quattrone Center, will be responsible for supporting research collaborations (both within the Center and between the Center and criminal justice professionals) that generate first-class research furthering the Center's mission of preventing errors in the administration of justice. He/she may also pursue independent research projects within the Center's mission.
The Research Project Manager will work closely with the Center's post-doctorate Fellows, the faculty and staff of the Law School, and the Center's Advisory Board, as well as criminal justice professionals, advocacy groups, and students, promoting their active involvement and orchestrating the use of their time and talent to advance the Center's portfolio and public profile.
Occasional travel is required.
Qualifications: A Bachelor's Degree and 5 - 7 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
Advanced degree (JD, Ph.D., MA) preferred;
* A minimum of five years of successful and relevant professional experience (e.g., legal practice and/or criminal justice reform), including a demonstrated interest in the administration of justice or criminal justice public policy;
* Familiarity with and appreciation of the role and mission of the Quattrone Center for the Fair Administration of Justice and the Law School and its relationship to the University, as well as understanding of the criminal justice system; strong ability to articulate that role and interact comfortably with the broad range of individuals and constituency groups crucial to the advancement of the Law School and the Center;
* Solid strategic and administrative skills and the ability to establish objectives, set performance standards, and organize and motivate staff, faculty, and volunteers to achieve research goals in timely and cost-effective fashion;
* Demonstrated ability to partner with government agencies and/or public organizations to conduct research or to implement change;
* Demonstrated capacity for data-driven research;
* Strong written and oral communication skills;
* Ability to function independently, yet relate comfortably to a centralized framework for research and development, participating in and contributing to a total team effort.
Reference Number: 56-25917
Salary Grade: 028
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: Quattrone Center for the Fair Administration of Justice
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: I-Technical/Professional Research