Portland Community College
Job Close Date
Apply Immediately; This position will close once sufficient qualified applications have been received.
Under the direction of financial services management, performs a variety of duties necessary for the accurate and timely processing of biweekly and monthly payroll throughout the college district. Ensures accuracy in employees' pay and withholding balances, audits necessary payroll related reports and maintains appropriate payroll records. May specialize in one or more payroll related expense and liability accounts, and performs associated general ledger entries. Handles sensitive and confidential information ensuring compliance with college policies, union contracts and state and federal legal requirements.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options.
Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
Starts at 6.67 hours of Vacation leave per month (additional vacation hours with years of service)
8 hours of Sick Leave per month
24 hours of additional Personal Leave days per year
11 Paid Holidays
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age. Tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
For a complete list of PCC benefits please copy and paste the following link into another browser http://www.pcc.edu/hr/benefits/
- Calculates pay for various employee groups and individuals assigned to multiple job classifications in strict accordance to union contracts, government wage and hour laws, and college policy. Calculations include regular pay, overtime (including weighted average) and annualized salaries. Verifies and maintains pay records and leave balances.
- Processes payroll using online input, desktop and third party web based applications. Manually enters and edits documents as necessary.
- Maintains payroll deductions in accordance with union contracts, college policy and legal requirements. Deductions include, but are not limited to garnishments, insurance adjustments and refunds, and PERS. Performs billing and balances monthly payable and receivable accounts for remittance of payroll taxes and deductions. Resolves complex payroll issues as necessary.
- Provides customer service to college staff/student employees and outside agencies upon request. Communicates technical and confidential information and responds to requests for clarification and interpretation of data.
- Prepares journal entries and labor distribution for general ledger under fund accounting system. Completes correspondence, agency forms and reports. Audits payroll programs and internal accounts.
- Calculates and prepares unscheduled manually issued checks, gross to net. Completes input documents to update employee year-to-date records.
- Maintains accurate and organized files and records in compliance with college policy and state and federal regulations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
In the online application's Education/Employment History sections, include jobs, duties, and dates that support all of the following qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application.
High school diploma or equivalent; one year of college level accounting or formal training in payroll (relevant work experience will substitute for college level training on a year-for-year basis).
Three years of work experience in payroll processing with knowledge of tax withholding, accounting practices and mathematical calculations.
Strong verbal and written communication skills; detail oriented; able to apply complex salary, compensation and record keeping criteria in processing payroll. Ability to analyze and interpret data for accuracy. Must be proficient in use of computers, including familiarity with spreadsheet and word processing software. Proficient in use of 10-key calculator is required.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is performed in a standard office environment where work pressure, disturbances of workflow and/or irregularities in work schedule are expected and occur on an intermittent basis. Subject to severe penalties regarding non-compliance with strict timelines imposed by external agencies and union contracts. Changes in performance environment require occasional upgrading of skills. Minimal physical exertion is generally required. Learned physical skill is required to perform keyboarding and 10-key functions. Exposure to video display terminals.
FPC (Fundamental Payroll Certification) or CPP (Certified Payroll Professional) preferred
Experience working with Banner or similar ERP system
Experience working in a higher education setting that serves a widely diverse employee population
Proficient in use of Microsoft and Google applications
Ability to make a positive contribution in a collaborative team environment
Additional Posting Information
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed responses to the Required Questions from the Committee - scroll down to see "Required Questions" below - (Attach document)*
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)*
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Classified Employees (PCCFCE). Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction. Probationary period will be in accordance with Article 13 of the Classified Agreement. Current Classified employees are encouraged to review Article 15 for salary placement guidelines.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
For full application instructions and position description, visit http://pa181.peopleadmin.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=55777