Director of the Writing Center (F586)
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelor's, master's and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running.
Position Title: Director of the Writing Center
Position Tracking Number: F586
School/College: Office of the Provost
Department: Writing Programs
Location: Azusa Campus
The Director of the Writing Center administers all aspects of the Writing Center, which serves traditional undergraduate, graduate, and non-traditional students. The director provides leadership for and coordination of writing coaching for students across the University's multiple campuses; provides students with structured, personalized writing instruction that reflects and integrates current writing theory and practice for a wide range of writing projects including thesis and dissertation preparation; and delivers presentations and workshops related to writing processes and skills. The Center operates largely on the peer mentoring model and includes graduate and online writing support. This is an academic administrator position reporting to the Assistant Provost.
Specialization: Master's degree required; Ph.D. in Composition and Rhetoric preferred.
- Oversee all aspects of the daily operation of the Writing Center including overseeing the budget.
- Hire, train, and supervise full-time assistant director, full-time resource coordinator, part-time writing consultants, and peer coaches.
- Develop writing seminars and workshops.
- Promote and publicize the services of the Writing Center (e.g., programs, philosophy, and procedures) to the campus community.
- Coordinate creation and dissemination of writing resources.
- Collaborate with the Writing Program Administrator (WPA) on faculty Writing Programs initiatives and vision.
- Collaborate with faculty to determine needs of students; respond to faculty referrals to work with students in areas of need.
- Teach up to one 3-unit course per year.
- Communicate with the Department of English regarding writing consultant and coach referrals, specific writing issues, and other relevant information.
- Provide professional development for Writing Center staff related to writing theory and practice, including online delivery of writing support services.
- Maintain the technology and equipment needs of the Center.
Level: Department Director.
Qualifications: Strong interpersonal skills for interaction with faculty and students, strong verbal and written communication skills, demonstrated ability to work creatively and cooperatively, strong project planning and management skills for projects of varying complexity.
Experience: Experience administering campus-wide writing support services to diverse student populations; successful teaching or tutoring experience.
Workload: Full-time, 12-month academic administrator position.
- Ability to integrate Christian values in all aspects.
- Ability to engage in critical thinking and exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information.
- Self starter, ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
Hire Date: Open until filled.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Azusa Pacific University conducts background checks on all final candidates.
To apply, visit http://www.apu.edu/cp/employment/. Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled.