University Police Officer (MPTC Certified or equivalent ONLY)
Massachusetts General Laws chapter 75, section 32A and, chapter 90C grants University of Massachusetts Boston Police Officers the same authority, immunities and privileges as duly appointed and qualified police officers acting elsewhere in the Commonwealth.
Applicants for this position must have successfully completed a Massachusetts Basic Police Training Program (800 hours/20 week; after 01/01/2016, 902 hours/26 week) from a regional police academy, approved by the Municipal Police Training Committee (MPTC) or have successfully completed training that is substantially equivalent to or greater than that of a Massachusetts police officer at a comparable level of experience. Contingent upon appointment, the appointee(s) shall be considered probationary through twelve (12) continuous months of service, beginning on the date the appointee(s) report for duty.
Perform a full range of law enforcement functions, including, but not limited to:
- Patrol of all buildings and grounds owned, used, leased or controlled by the University;
- Enforcement of criminal and traffic laws of the Commonwealth and rules and regulations of the University;
- Related duties as required.
- Must have completed a minimum of sixty (60) college credits; OR hold an Associate's Degree from an accredited college or university; OR must have completed two (2) years of military service prior to hire for the position;
- Possess a valid Massachusetts Driver's License by date of hire;
- Be capable of obtaining a Massachusetts Class A License to Carry Firearms Permit at the time of appointment;
- Be able to successfully complete a background check.
- Applicants with prior police experience may be required to pass a Physical Agility Test (PAT), and a psychological evaluation test.
- Contingent upon appointment, the appointee will participate in an in-house 8-week post-academy field training program.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to work at any hour and in all weather conditions;
- Ability to learn and demonstrate job requirements after being trained;
- Ability to maintain good order and acceptable personal demeanor under periods of stress, verbal and physical abuse, danger, and emotional tension;
- Physical ability and alertness necessary to perform duties.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews:
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
- Classified. Union Local 25. Benefited.
- Grade 15E.
- Bi weekly salary: $1,852.63.
- Unrestricted funding.
- MPTC certified or equivalent only.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Closing date for applications: June 19, 2017.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information. In addition to federal law requirements, the University of Massachusetts Boston complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment. Among the procedures which may be used to select personnel to fill vacant positions are review of work experience, reference checks, and interviews. All appointments and promotions will be effective on a Sunday.