Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education - Office of the Provost (A1700270)
Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education
Office of the Provost
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Internal to Campus
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has an opening for a Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education in the Office of the Provost. This position is a 100% full-time, benefits-eligible Academic Professional position. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications and the start date is as soon as possible after the close of the search. The Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education provides campus-wide leadership in the area of undergraduate education This includes setting strategic direction for the undergraduate experience at Illinois, supporting innovation in classroom and in online instruction, and encouraging interdisciplinary initiatives in curriculum and pedagogy.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve on the Provost's leadership team, assisting the Provost with strategizing and prioritizing goals for the office and campus.
- Advance the university's goal to diversify the student body, collaboratively with the Associate Chancellor for Diversity.
- Represent the Provost at events as appropriate, and delivers remarks as needed.
- Serve as a member of the Campus Emergency Operations Center Core Group, and on other university and University System committees, as needed.
- Enrollment Management: Guide enrollment management strategy with regard to undergraduate enrollment targets, student diversity, admission processes, tuition rates, and financial aid. Communicate with stakeholders and press about admissions and enrollments. Oversee campus efforts to improve undergraduate student retention and graduation initiative rates. Guide and coordinate the campus strategy for enrollment growth.
- Academic Programs and Policies: Work with the Council of Undergraduate Deans and colleges on policies and processes for undergraduate education. Support the work of the General Education Board and the Teaching Advancement Board. Lead campus response and coordinate with System Offices on state legislation and other state-wide or nation-wide issues affecting undergraduate education. Ensure that individual student, parent, and faculty issues are addressed. Maintain Higher Learning Commission accreditation for the campus. Support the Illini Success initiative to study and publicize students' first placement after graduation.
- Online Learning: Help build policies, procedures and staffing that make online education effective and productive. Guide strategy and policy around new forms of online education, with advice from MSAC, the MOOC and Online Strategy Advisory Committee and OLOAC, the Online Learning Operations Advisory Committee. Support educational innovations and develop related campus policy and procedure issues. Work collaboratively with academic units better on strategic decisions regarding online programs, and ensure that those units have access to the information needed to support those decisions.
- Curricular Innovation: Initiate, support and evaluate campus educational pilot programs (e.g., the Grand Challenge Learning pilot, ePortfolios), and foster the sustainable development of successful ideas. Promote the development of campus-level student learning outcomes (learning analytics) and the broad use of learning outcomes assessment on campus. Improve undergraduate students' campus experience through programs and services of the Office of Undergraduate Research, the Campus Honors Program, and the Illinois Leadership Center.
- Oversee the following areas, processes and relevant policies, including but not limited to the following: Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning; Academic Programs and Policies; Office of Undergraduate Research; Campus Center for Advising and Academic Services; Osher Lifelong Learning Institute; Enrollment Management; Office of Student Financial Aid; Undergraduate Admissions; Principal Scholars Program; University Laboratory High School, Campus Honors Program; I-STEM; and Illinois Leadership Center.
- Direct Reports to the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education: Associate Provost for Academic Programs and Policies; Associate Provost for Enrollment Management; Assistant Provost for Educational Innovation; Director, Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning; Director, Campus Honors Program; Director, Illinois Leadership Center; and Director, I-STEM.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
Required education: Earned doctoral degree
Required experience and knowledge:
- At least five years of experience in higher education.
- Tenured faculty appointment.
- A record of success in leading instructional innovation.
- A commitment to promoting diversity and an inclusive environment for undergraduates.
- An appreciation for diverse forms of undergraduate teaching and mentoring.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate with administrators, academic staff, faculty and students from various disciplinary areas.
Preferred experience and knowledge:
- Detailed knowledge of campus academic policies and procedures.
- The capacity to foster and maintain collaborations among faculty and campus leaders.
To ensure full consideration, application materials must be received by May 17, 2017. Proposed start date for this position is as soon as possible. All candidates must create a candidate profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of interest, resume, and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of three professional references. Interviews may begin prior to the close of the search however a hiring decision will not be made until after May 17, 2017. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Jennifer Steiling at email@example.com.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Organization Name: Provost/VCAA Admin
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the Provost
Category: Academic Professional
Open Date: 05/03/2017