Associate Director, College Human Resources - College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental S
College of Agricultural Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Associate Director, College Human Resources
Internal to Campus Search
The Associate Director, College Human Resources serves as a regular, full-time, 12-month academic professional staff member with primary responsibility for the administration and human resource management for the College of ACES. This position will work closely with units within ACES regarding University human resources practices, procedures, and policies.
The position is a full-time, benefits-eligible, non-tenure, academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Specific responsibilities of the Associate Director are as follows:
- Serve as a resource to administrators and supervisors with the College to help interpret and implement unit/department, college and campus/University policies and procedures regarding faculty, other academic, academic professional, and civil service issues.
- Provide guidance and serve as a resource to department heads, directors, faculty, and staff on University policies and procedures.
- Provide consultation to employees and their supervisors, informing them of their rights and responsibilities with their respective roles, and work with campus, unit supervisors, and field-based professionals to address academic and civil service employee personnel issues.
- Oversee all hiring and appointment activity for the College of ACES. Update hiring processes and procedures for ACES as driven by campus or other regulatory needs.
- Consult with ACES Administration and Finance as needed for financial guidance with respect to appointments, transfers, terminal payouts, and effort reporting.
- Serve as a resource for all college units for human resource inquiries with respect to all employee groups, including advising and overseeing employee leaves. These leaves include Family Medical Leave, SURS Disability, Worker's Compensation, Vacation and Sick, and other special leaves.
- Provide guidance and oversight for compliance related to activities under ADA, FMLA, FLSA and other state and federal labor laws and University policies.
- Serve as a point person for College-wide search and hiring practices, which includes providing guidance on PAPEs, job advertisements, affirmative action goals, recruitment mechanisms, offer approvals, and other search and hire activities.
- Provide high-level policy and procedural input based on HR best practices for the development and/or enhancement of various HR information systems.
- Work closely with the Director of ACES HR with regard to HR best practices, by contributing information, analysis, and recommendations to organization strategic thinking and direction for ACES.
- Provide education, training, and information about academic and civil service employee management to supervisory staff within ACES.
- Participate as a member of a team and take leadership roles to provide training to faculty and academic professionals regarding the necessary policies, procedures, and legal issues necessary to efficiently and effectively manage civil service and academic staff members. Training may include Employee Orientation, Retirement, Employee Benefits, FMLA, Time Reporting, as well as other relevant topics on an as-needed basis. Training initiatives may also extend to college-wide departmental contact training as well as drafting policy/process summaries send to field and department based staff for educational purposes.
- Work closely with ACES HR staff to collaborate on complex employee relations situations using discretion and guidance to conduct research, interpret findings, and make recommendations for various HR-related situations.
- Represent the College in various capacities including committees, advisory groups, or collaborative efforts.
- Oversee and manage all Federal Retiree (CSRS) inquiries, processing, and record-keeping and provide training to the other human resources staff.
- Serve as a back up to the Assistant Director and all ACES HR team members for all employee groups for inquiries on HR policy/procedure, best practices, and current hiring activity.
- Act in the absence of the Director.
- Occasional travel throughout the state as needed.
- Required: Bachelor's degree. A current affiliation with the Champaign-Urbana campus. At least ten years of progressive human resources work experience at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in a large academic unit. Demonstrated proficiency working in a fast-paced academic environment. Demonstrated leadership skills, as well as excellent problem-solving and communication skills. Proven ability to interact with a broad array of internal and external constituents.
- Preferred: Master's degree in human resource management, human resources development, labor and employee relations, or closely related area. Experience with and knowledge of both academic and civil service personal policies and procedures at the University of Illinois. Proficiency with Banner, HR Front End, Hire Touch, Tracker, and my.dot applications. Experience with employees that contribute to the Federal Retirement system CSRS and/or employees that focus on extension outreach in higher education. SHRM or HRCI certification.
Application Procedure: To apply, go to http://go.illinois.edu. Log in to your account and upload a cover letter and resume, as well as the names and contact information of three professional references. Resume dates must be in month/year format. To receive full consideration, all requested application materials must be submitted via the online system by the close date of June 1, 2017.
For further information about the position, please contact Joe Bohn at firstname.lastname@example.org. For technical assistance with the online application process, call 217-333-6747 or email email@example.com.
The University conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: ACES
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Associate Director, College Human Resources - College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (A1700302)
Open Date: 05/18/2017
Close Date: 06/01/2017
Organization Name: Admin and Finance