PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT - Plastics Ophthalmology
PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT - Plastics Ophthalmology
Advanced Practice Provider- Department of Ophthalmology
Augment an Ophthalmologist's ability to provide medical services to patients; collect and document data, conduct diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, order and schedule laboratory/radiology studies and professional consultations and provide direct patient care services.
- In collaboration with attending physician(s), treat patients in ocularoncology or otherophthalmic specialties to assess, diagnose, plan treatment, set priorities and realistic outcomes,and evaluate the effectiveness and cost efficiency of patient care.
- Take patient histories, conduct physical examinations, and record the data in the patient's medical record; write progress notes and narrative discharge summaries; prepare patient workups and summaries noting pertinent positive and negative findings. Record normal/abnormal data for review by the physician. Document clinic, telephone, and other patient encounters in the Epic (Maestro) system.
- Review outside records including clinic notes, hospital records,outside radiographs,lab, and other test results.
- Perform diagnostic and therapeutic procedures specific to the work environment after demonstrated competency and within the guidelines of scope of practice and credentialing protocols to assist physician in diagnosing medical and surgical problems for patients seen in Ophthalmology clinics.
- Order appropriate radiology studies, schedule laboratory studies,diagnostic and therapeutic procedures including but not limited to ophthalmic ultrasounds, retina imaging, fluoresce in angiographies, CT scans, visual fields and fundusphotography; explain the necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of scheduled diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to the patient.
- Follow up on the results of such testing and procedures with appropriate notification of supervising physician and patients. Assess educational needs of the patients/families and provide culturally-sensitive patient/family education interventions as indicated. Coordinate care and refer to other medical professionals as needed.
- Postoperatively monitor progress of patients, report progress to supervising physician, and document all pre- and post-op education in patients' medical record.
- Participate in clinical research projects conducted by supervising physician; obtain signed consents, assist in preparation of reports, recording progress, adverse events and collaborate in the development of appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- May participate in work assignments for assigned nursing and technical personnel in collaboration with clinical managers and supervising physician; review the work of other staff;assist in the training of new clinic personnel.
- Participate in teaching medical students and nurse practitioner/physician assistant students in techniques and procedures which are unique to ophthalmology and the clinical setting.
- Collaborate with nursing staff to complete patient paper work including medication pre-certifications for insurance companies, durable medical equipment requests, disability paperwork, and handicapped permit applications.
- Utilize prescriptive privileges only for identified patient population. Prescriptive authority for prescribing, ordering, and or administering drugs; including (but not limited to) schedule II, III, IV, and V drugs and necessary medical devices.
- Role model competence in all nurse practitioner /physician assistant advanced skills
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to bean exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Primary hours will be Monday through Friday, day shift, with hours flexible to meet the needs of the patients. Schedule may be modified by the clinical or leadership team.
The NP/PA will be responsible to the primary supervising physician and back-up physicians.
Process of Evaluation
Evaluation will be ongoing and will encompass the six general areas of competency as defined by The Joint Commission (patient care, medical/clinical knowledge, practice-based learning & improvement, interpersonal & communication skills, professionalism and systems-based practice). Annual evaluations will be conducted, in coordination with NP/PA primary supervising physician.
Review of Care and Quality Improvement meetings with supervising physician will be conducted and documented monthly for the first six months, in accordance with Duke University's and the designated Board's standards, then at least once every six months in accordance with the NC Medical Board.
1631 PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires completion of accredited Nurse Practitioner program. State of North Carolina licensure is also required.
Work requires no previous experience OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
LICENSES, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
• Completion of accredited Nurse Practitioner Program or PA Program at the Masters or Doctoral Level
• Current NC License with the NC Medical Board
• Current DEA registration
• Credentialing through Duke University Health System
• American Red Cross BLS and ACLS certification
• Adequate CME as outlined by NC Medical Board, Duke Credentialing Office and Certifying Board
• Completion of required Duke modules (safety, HIPAA, etc.)
• Completion of Maestro training
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.