Working Title: Carpenter
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Facilities Management Department
Posting Date: 05-18-2017
Facilities Management (FM) supports the University of Virginia's wide range of research, academic and patient care programs. With over 1,200 employees dedicated to excellence, Facilities Management is responsible for the day-to-day operation, repair and maintenance of U.Va.'s buildings, infrastructure and grounds as well as other University-owned and leased properties.
The Carpenter supports Facilities Management's goal of providing consistent, cost effective, and reliable carpentry work on renovation, construction and maintenance to the University community. Incumbent performs work of moderate difficulty with responsibilities for constructing, erecting, installing, and repairing structures of wood, plywood, wall boards, sheet metal and other building materials. The Carpenter also performs other miscellaneous duties such as lock installation and repair, replacing glass and ceiling and floor tiles, and other building trade related duties.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Working knowledge and skills in carpentry methods, tools, materials, techniques, basic math and units of measure.
2. Considerable skills in the use of hand and power tools.
3. Knowledge of applicable Federal, State, Local, and University regulations, as well as applicable trades, building and construction codes.
4. Reading, writing, and verbal communication skills.
5. Ability to use computers and associated applications for time tracking and documentation of work.
6. Ability to review and interpret construction drawings, blueprints, sketches, diagrams, and specifications.
7. Ability to work overtime which could include nights and weekends and the ability to respond on an emergency basis as needed.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=81921