Technical Support Specialist
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking a full-time Technical Support Specialist.
~ Provide technical information, support, advice and assistance for both the Dowagiac and Niles’ campus wide computer hardware, software, audio visual and network systems.
~ Required to work on site to modify, install, clean and repair computer software and hardware, peripherals, printers, and audio visual equipment in a classroom environment.
~ Maintain and improve equipment and software inventory and licensing.
~ Participate and provide knowledgeable input and advice on IT projects with the thought of long range goals of the department and college.
~ Maintain information and client confidentiality.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
• Set up equipment for employee use.
• Install and perform minor repairs to hardware, software, audio visual and printer equipment.
• Evaluate vendor-supplied software by studying user objectives; testing software compatibility with existing hardware and programs.
• Monitor security and anti-virus/malware protection and perform any necessary maintenance required to improve system integrity.
• Maintain Licensing and maintenance agreements as necessary.
• Verify that Licensing is in compliance with Licensing Agreements.
• Recommend and install software updates as required using automated process if possible.
• Maximize use of hardware and software by training users; interpreting instructions; answering questions.
• Provide support for audio visual equipment in the classrooms and events.
• Perform OS upgrade and patches as needed to PCs, Laptops, Macs, IPads, Projectors and servers.
• Diagnose and resolve client issues within a timely bases.
• Notify supervisor of project and work-order status, and advanced issues.
• Maintains documentation on how to repair and solve issues using a Wiki and/or ticket system.
• Maintain equipment inventory and distribution.
• Provide recommendation for AV, computer and software updates and improvements.
• Maintains client confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
• Maintains professional and technical knowledge.
• Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
~ Minimum of Associate’s degree in related subject from an accredited college or university.
~ CompTIA A+ and CompTIA Network + certification or equivalent knowledge.
~ Minimum of two years of related technical experience
• Experience with desktop operating systems including Windows, Linux, and Mac OS
• Experience with Education software installation and support
• Extensive application support experience
• Knowledge of diagnostic utilities.
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
• Conduct research into a wide range of computing issues as required.
• Ability to absorb and retain information quickly.
• Present ideas in user-friendly language.
• Highly self-motivated and directed.
• Keen attention to detail.
• Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
• Effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Exceptional customer service orientation.
• Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard as well as seeing to review materials for accuracy.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information with students, staff and public.
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
Posting Number 20110564
Job Category Staff
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email
- * Do you have an earned associate degree or higher?
- Cover Letter
- Academic Transcripts
- Optional Documents