Interdisciplinary Telecom Program Assistant Director
The Interdisciplinary Telecom Program (ITP) is a graduate program offering PhD and MS degrees to students pursuing a career in the telecommunications field. ITP is a self-funded unit within the College of Engineering and Applied Science (CEAS) at the University of Colorado Boulder. The mission of ITP is to provide high-quality "hands-on" graduate education that is interdisciplinary in nature with technical, economic, business and policy components. ITP has an annual budget of approximately $3-million and admits about 80 graduate students per year.
This is a full-time, professional-exempt position that reports to the Faculty Director of ITP. The Assistant Director has a wide range of duties, requiring both autonomy and discretion, related to ITP's operations to support academic services, planning program growth and facilities, strategic relations, cross-campus collaborations and outreach, communication, and effective management of all ITP staff.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Education Program Development and Administration
- Serves as a lead role in shaping ITP's educational mission regarding space and office, teaching lab, and research lab resources to meet ITP's strategic objectives and accommodate planned growth in programmatic, research, faculty, and student activities and communities.
- Serves as a liaison between the Director of ITP and various college and campus administrative constituencies. Handles administrative duties serving as back up to the Faculty Director during planned absences or as needed. This includes reviewing and approving graduation and student advising paperwork.
- Develops, communicates and manages a full-year plan to provide high quality student services through efficient admissions, application evaluations, course scheduling and advising processes. Supports all of the educational products provided by ITP including PhD and MS degrees, professional master's programs, ITP academy courses, and certificates.
- Develops, implements, and oversees marketing strategies unique to the ITP student recruitment process by coordinating the marketing efforts of all ITP faculty and staff, as well as overseeing the website design and implementation by the Website Design Specialist.
- Recommends, plans, and manages all ITP office administrative responsibilities, meets routinely with the ITP Faculty Director to communicate progress, proactively propose strategies and solutions to improve administrative efficiency, and report important administrative issues to the ITP Faculty during faculty meetings.
- Serves as program liaison for all campus departments, Dean's Office contacts, and administrative committees relevant to ITP including, but not limited to, Facilities Management, Human Resources, Finance, University Communications, and Graduate Education Committee.
- Recommends and leads the development and implementation of new education projects for ITP upon approval by faculty such as new Professional Master's Programs, ITP Academy courses, fundraising campaigns, or other opportunities as assigned by the Faculty Director.
Office & Personnel Management
- Manages day-to-day expenses of the approved ITP operating budget expenses such as office supplies, program educational seminars and events, and alumni events.
- Manages ITP staff, directly supervising the Graduate Program Coordinator, Corporate Outreach Manager, and any temporary positions, to ensure timely delivery of program deliverables and milestones. Provides vision, leadership and management for all ITP staff to accomplish our mission of the program.
- Reviews and revises current and new position descriptions for filling vacancies and reevaluating current positions.
- Evaluates annual performance and on a continuous basis for coaching and performance feedback, setting goals, cultural leadership, and any disciplinary action as needed.
- Ensures adequate office space for current and new staff.
- Ensures employees comply with University and College policies. Approves leave requests, overtime, and monthly timesheets.
- Provides day-to-day management of staff professionals with development and feedback.
- Exercises appropriate independent decision making to solve managerial or program problems associated with students or faculty administrative support.
Alumni Programs and Outreach
- Serves as the lead liaison with ITP alumni to plan and manage all alumni events, develops and implements new fundraising campaigns and recruitment initiatives, establishes and manages international ambassadors program or other activities as needed.
- Plans, promotes, and executes local and regional events to promote ITP and its activities to stakeholders internal and external to the college.
- Meets individually with local alumni to establish and foster relationships with the college.
- Undertakes other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
What you should know:
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States must be produced within three (3) days of hire.
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $65,000.00, commensurate with experience. The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be challenged. Be innovative. Be supportive. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree.
- Five years of professional work experience in operations, business management, or related field with supervisory responsibility.
- A combination of relevant post-baccalaureate education, training, and/or experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
What you will need:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptionally strong leadership and networking skills.
- Creative problem solver with strong critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated marketing management skills and the ability to work effectively with decision-makers across all levels within an organization.
- Proficient project manager with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Detail-oriented with strong ability to understand constituent needs and lead teams toward a common goal.
- Ability to learn and respond quickly to situations that arise on a day-to-day basis.
- Ability to work effectively with decision-makers across all levels within an organization.
- Demonstrated experience with complex management responsibilities in a work setting that demands high quality, flexibility, and excellent customer service.
What we'd like you to have:
- Master's degree in technical management or related field with supervisory responsibility.
- Marketing management skills.
- Experience with complex management responsibilities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Experience with the university's relevant information systems (PeopleSoft and PeopleAdmin).
- Basic understanding of the rules and regulations that drive University processes (Fiscal Code of Ethics, hiring processes, etc.).
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by June 1, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Click here to view Special Instructions and General Information for Veterans and Classified Staff positions.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-09587.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10302 - Dept Interdisciplinary Telecom
Posting Date: May 18, 2017
Closing Date: Jun 1, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00733558