Software Systems Engineer III
Nippon Seiki is a world-class manufacturer of instruments for vehicles, agricultural, and construction equipment. Established in 1945, Nippon Seiki Co., Ltd. is headquartered in Japan, in 26 facilities worldwide. N.S. International, Ltd. ("NSI"), a group company of Nippon Seiki, located in Troy, MI, is a tier one supplier of instrument clusters and head-up display units for FCA US, General Motors, BMW, Honda, Harley Davidson, Suzuki, Polaris, Arctic Cat and other OEM's.
Leads assigned programs/projects ensuring the systems engineering team meets project milestones and deadlines. Mentors junior engineers to professional growth and enable high-quality software development. Gathers system requirements and creates functional specifications for embedded software design and development. Performs system validation to ensure all requirements have been properly captured and implemented while meeting the customer's delivery expectations.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Configures and installs hardware and software for complex systems that meet customer installation requirements and integrate with customer's existing systems.
- Analyzes and documents customer and NSI internal requirements, and generates internal functional specifications to direct all software created for NSI's products.
- Generates high level and complex functional specifications to document NSI software testing. Validates embedded software per functional specifications and customer needs.
- Validates all embedded software functions according to functional specifications and customer requirements.
- Regularly prepares flow charts, models and procedures, and conducts feasibility studies to design and develop system solutions.
- Prepares and maintains technical documentation to guide system users and assist ongoing operation, maintenance, modification, and problem resolution regarding the product's software system.
- Collaborates with sales team to estimate costs and requirements of configuring, modifying, and installing NSI products.
- Develops and maintains system testing tools such as CANoe panels for each specific message matrix released by the customer.
- Completes all PCE (man hour and function point) requests for the systems group, and prepares quotations for software changes.
- Demonstrates broad understanding and application of the competency in difficult situations; generally requires no or only limited oversight. Provides guidance to junior engineering staff.
- Provides field support to NSI's Integration and Quality Assurance Teams to identify root cause of issues.
- Documents customer software functionality in cases where they do not exist to define general functionality to provide fundamental interaction procedures.
- Leads assigned programs/projects and ensure that the systems team meets its required deadlines.
- Reviews other Engineers' work with respect to internal Quality Gate metrics and advices team on necessary changes.
- Presents Quality Gate documentation to Software Quality Assurance team during periodic reviews.
- Works collaboratively with direct supervisor in reviewing work of Level I and II Software System Design Engineers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Formal Education and certification:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or engineering with a minimum 8 years of experience, or a Master's Degree and a minimum 5 years of experience in computer science or engineering with satisfactory completion of coursework in Embedded Programming, Embedded Controls and/or Embedded System Design.
Knowledge and experience:
- In-depth knowledge of CAN communication interface and Vector tools.
- Knowledge of intra vehicle communication tools including CAN/LIN/MOST/SPI/Ethernet (TCP/IP).
- Ability to use tools such as networking emulators, oscilloscopes, and test boxes to validate and test software functionality.
- Ability to develop function and test specifications for software development.
- Proficient knowledge of scripting languages (Perl, VB, Python, etc.) for development of automated testing.
- Experience working with 32 bit microcontrollers.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively with customers and multi-cultural teams.
- Ability to independently manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate (verbally and written) in a clear, concise manner.
- Adaptation/Flexibility: Includes keeping an open mind regarding new ideas and ways of doing things. Willing to consider alternative interpretations or ways of looking at the situation. Demonstrating flexibility.
- Initiative/ Results Driven: Includes setting high standards of performance for self and others. Striving to accomplish goals even if it means personal sacrifice. Putting the goals of the organization above own goals.
- Judgment/ Decision Making: Includes making decisions and takes actions that have beneficial impact. Effectively evaluating information in order to come up with sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Resource Management: Includes setting clear objectives to guide action for self or others to accomplish goals. Organizing or adjusting information, people and materials to meet those goals.
- Team work: Includes encouraging and supporting the ideas and effort of others. Finding ways to help the team or group perform effectively.
Ability to travel 20%, international and domestic.
Monday-Friday, Normal Business Hours. Off-hours as needed.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
N.S. International, Ltd. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
See Job Description
N.S. International, Ltd. is a tier one supplier of Instrument Cluster and Head-Up Display systems to many major automotive OEMs including: General Motors, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), Honda and BMW. NSI supplies other parts and equipment including fuel gauges, speedometers, tachometers, and a variety of other gauges to Harley Davidson, Polaris, Arctic Cat, Suzuki and others.
N.S. International, Ltd. houses a team of professionals who provide face-to-face support to our customers covering the complete product life cycle. Our onsite expertise includes: Sales, Purchasing, Supply Chain, Design Engineering and Program Management.
Sun, 23 Apr 2017 20:21:14 PDT