E-Resources & Serials Acquisitions Specialist
The University Libraries E-resources & Serials Acquisitions Manager is primarily responsible for the acquisition, renewal, and management of serials, electronic resources, and ongoing commitments including databases and print and online journals for the University Libraries. This position will cultivate relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including librarians, publishers, vendors, and consortium partners. This position will work independently and collaboratively, reporting directly to the Head of Acquisitions.
Who we are:
About CU Libraries:
As the flagship of University of Colorado's multi-campus system, CU Boulder is a dynamic community of scholars and learners situated on one of the most beautiful college campuses in the country. As one of thirty-four U.S. public institutions belonging to the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU) - and the only member in the Rocky Mountain region - we have a proud tradition of academic excellence, with five Nobel laureates and more than 50 members of prestigious academic academies.
Today, with our sights set on becoming the standard for the great comprehensive public research universities of the new century, we strive to serve the people of Colorado and to engage with the world through excellence in our teaching, research, creative work, and service. The University Libraries faculty and staff are diverse, talented, and passionate people who share this vision and mission. The Libraries, a member of the Association of Research Libraries, holds the largest collection in the Rocky Mountain region with over 12 million books, periodicals, government publications, audio-visual materials, microforms, maps, manuscripts, papers and computer-based resources. The Libraries faculty and staff collaborate internally, with colleagues beyond the campus, and with our clients to advance information literacy, intellectual freedom, lifelong learning, the disciplinary growth of information, and the amplification of knowledge.
The University of Colorado Boulder Libraries are a dynamic partner in creating, disseminating, and advancing scholarship. We inspire learning, research, and discovery by connecting knowledge, information, and people.
We are the heart of higher education, providing essential scholarly resources, user-centered services, and inclusive spaces to the University, local, and global communities.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Manage the acquisitions of subscriptions and ongoing commitments for e-resource and serials including communicating with vendors, negotiating pricing, reviewing license agreements, establishing order records, paying invoices, and verifying receipt of materials or access.
- Manage the renewals and cancellations for both serials and databases including investigating alternative format availability, analyzing cost increases, and ensuring timely renewal of resources.
- Coordinate with the Head of Collection Development and Subject Specialists on renewal decisions, maintain renewals schedules and deadlines, and communicate with vendors regarding renewals, cancellations, and updates to subscriptions.
- Participate as an active member of the CU System CLERT group (CU Libraries Electronic Resources Task Force) by attending meetings, and gathering and sharing information with other campus' members (collection development and acquisitions librarians) about renewals, pricing, and vendor communications for shared resources.
- Manage license agreement workflow and records management including reviewing licenses, coordinating review with University Procurement, maintaining ERM or equivalent data sources for license information, and maintaining license record management files.
- Maintain serials budget balance for new purchases and cancellation credits by keeping accurate records, preparing reports of encumbrances and cancellation credits, and communicating budget matters to Subject Specialists, Collection Development, Head of Acquisitions, and Director of Scholarly Resource Development.
- Maintains serials order records, license records, and posts invoices for serials purchases in Sierra.
- Serves as backup to Accounting Tech for processing of serials invoices for payment through CU Marketplace.
What we can offer:
The salary range for this position starts at $46,000 and will depend upon relevant background and experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Dynamic. Be Impactful. Be Supportive. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree.
- Three years' experience working with electronic resources in a library setting.
- Experience acquiring print and/or online journals, databases, or electronic resources.
What you will need:
- Ability to identify and solve problems independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to build working relationships and communicate with skill, tact, and courtesy with students, faculty, and colleagues, both internally and externally.
- Responsiveness and flexibility in order to adjust to a changing work environment.
- A record of exercising good judgment, consistent with University and library policies and applicable laws.
What we'd like you to have:
- Master of Library and Information Science, or equivalent.
- Experience reviewing and negotiating license agreements.
- Experience analyzing and negotiating pricing.
- Experience working in an academic library.
- Experience working with library consortia.
- Experience working with library vendors and publishers.
- Experience with an integrated library system such as Innovative's Sierra.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by May 30th, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-09147.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10369 - Library Administration
Posting Date: May 18, 2017
Closing Date: May 31, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00732637