Residence Hall Director (R-0175)
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Residence Hall Director oversees daily operations related to residence life, staff, and student housing. Selects, trains, supervises, and evaluates Residence Life staff. Provides personal, academic, educational, disciplinary, crisis management, and counseling services directly to students through various programs and projects. Coordinates with administrative staff in order to maintain facilities and operations, as well as to provide consistent support. Maintains positive working relationships with other Student Affairs and Campus Life Offices in order to facilitate programming and improve services. Assists with the general administration of residence hall student housing. Works under supervision to administer programs, supervise undergraduate staff, and interact positively with students.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Qualified candidates should have a Bachelor’s degree with one to three years of related work experience in a residential life or campus housing environment.
- Master’s degree in Communications, Higher Education, Counseling, Student Affairs or a related area.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills in order to solve problems and resolve conflict.
- Ability to work with multiple campus constituents.
- One or more years of supervision experience.
- One or more years of advising experience.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Basic office computer skills and the ability to learn new software programs.
APPOINTMENT DATE: July 3, 2017
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Priority deadline is June 9, 2017. Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Salary is $29,000. We provide a meal plan (when dining services are available), parking permit, pet policy, and domestic partner/dependents live-in policy. We provide a competitive benefit package that can be viewed at http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise one to two Higher Education in Student Affairs Graduate Students.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate Resident Assistants and Desk Assistants according to work product and compliance with University policies and procedures. Provide constructive feedback and maintain and cooperative working environment.
- Serve as an adjudicating officer for conduct.
- Oversee residence hall operations, such as room assignments, key distribution and collection, damage assessment, disciplinary reporting, billing, safety checks, room condition reports, and maintenance requests.
- Serve as a budgeting officer.
- Build and maintain a positive working relationship with facilities and custodial staff.
- Coordinate room and roommate assignments.
- Serve on campus wide on-call duty rotation.
- Respond to concerns about facilities, medical emergencies, mental health concerns or safety and security.
- Attend weekly departmental staff meetings.
- Serve on departmental or University committees.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Submit a letter of application, resume, and at least three professional references.
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position, please visit the Human Resource Office webpage at http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/ and click on Employment Opportunities. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Maryke Taute
ABOUT FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY:
Forward Thinking. World Ready - Fort Hays State University is a highly entrepreneurial teaching focused institution with major operations on-campus, online and in China. Providing a high-quality education at an affordable price, FHSU is ranked by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the top ten fastest growing universities in the U.S. It has an enrollment in excess of 14,000 students (Approximately 5,000 on campus, 3,500 in China, and over 6,000 online) and over 380 full time faculty. Bachelors, masters and professional doctoral degrees are offered through five colleges, the Graduate School, the Honors College, the Virtual College, and various international partnerships. Fort Hays State University's award-winning Virtual College coordinates distance education to the U.S. Armed Services and students in over 20 countries. The Virtual College has received many accolades, including U.S. News & World Report Online Programs rankings, GetEducated.com, Best Buys in Education, among others. Students at FHSU may select a major field of study from 30 departments. FHSU is fully accredited by several national agencies, and is one of six state-assisted institutions of higher education governed by a Board of Regents appointed by the governor of the state of Kansas. The website StateUniversity.com ranked the Fort Hays State campus as the safest in the state of Kansas.
The University has rich sports and cultural programming, all of which enjoy tremendous community support. The Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center is home to the Encore Series, which hosts many travelling Broadway shows, the Hays Symphony, university and other national and world-caliber performances. Fort Hays State University athletic events provide NCAA Division II athletic entertainment.
ABOUT HAYS, KS:
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant university community of approximately 22,000, located half way between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays has received numerous recent accolades such as being voted an All-American City, second best city in the state to raise children, and also the third best small college town in America. It is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas – serving a population of nearly 400,000. Hays boasts excellent recreational facilities including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, the Sternberg Museum of Natural History, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, an extensive recreational program, and excellent opportunities for walking, running, and biking. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes providing boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The community has award-winning public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, robust retail outlets, one of the lowest unemployment rates and commute times in the U.S., the city provides a safe, very friendly, low-cost, high-quality living environment.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.