The Neighborhood Partnership Program at Occidental College in collaboration with GEAR UP 4 LA is looking to hire an Academic Advisor. GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) 4 LA is a federally funded program that works with youth in the Belmont/Bernstein/ Kennedy Zones of Choice to significantly increase student success in high school and persistence in college. The program also seeks to increase college and career awareness for students and parents. It provides knowledge of the admission process and the college experience.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an individual assigned to this job. Other duties may be assigned.
- Working with central and site teams to implement and integrate all GU services
- Creating and presenting lessons for targeted audience
- Connecting families with appropriate partners and other available resources
- Using data to inform services
- Ensuring proper documentation of all communication and events
- Advocating for GEAR UP and college access
- Collaborating with appropriate school site staff to streamline information
- Working with Program Coordinator to establish and implement a yearly academic advising, mentoring and tutoring plan
- Monitoring student academic progress, career goals, and process for selecting colleges
- Provide personalized academic advice to cohort of students
- Recruit and maintain a student mentor club with active membership
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree
- Experience working with a team
- Must demonstrate competency in the following areas:
- Public speaking and group facilitation skills
- Strong organizational skills, especially data management and monitoring heavy email activity
- Event planning and promotion
- Ability to encourage and empower others to lead and contribute to the program and working knowledge of excel is necessary
- Candidate must have a driver's license and car
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position to email@example.com.