Associate Controller - Budget & Foundation Accounting
A leader in innovative teaching and learning, Kennesaw State University offers more than 150 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees to its more than 35,000 students. With 13 colleges on two metro Atlanta campuses, Kennesaw State is a member of the University System of Georgia and the third-largest university in the state. The university's vibrant campus culture, diverse population, strong global ties and entrepreneurial spirit, draw students from throughout the region and from 92 countries across the globe. The university's alumni network is 100,000 strong. A Carnegie-designated doctoral institution, it is one of the 50 largest public institutions in the country.
The Associate Controller - Budget and Foundation accounting is responsible for developing/administering policies and procedures, budgetary decisions, extensive scope/impact of decisions on both internal and external contacts. Some functions include administration/management of a dept of division that may have 1 or more Assistant/Associate Directors, in addition to other Exempt and Non-Exempt level staff. This is an "advanced" level position.
Overall responsibility for Auxiliary and Public Private Venture (PPV) Accounting, Foundation Accounting (including Athletic Association and the KSU Research & Service Foundation), Budget and Planning including Strategic Planning, Forecasting and Reporting. This position will also act as a liaison to the campus Business Managers. Manage an overall University budget of approximately $500 million.
Duties include but not limited to:
- Ensuring strong internal controls are maintained in Auxiliary and Foundation Accounting areas
- Monitoring PPV performance for a portfolio of 18 PPVs and alert management of potential deficiencies; review annual PPV Cash flow reports for accuracy
- Providing financial analysis and support in development of pro formas for public-private venture projects and development of five year business plans for auxiliary units, athletics and student activity units.
- Review Athletics annual reports for the NCAA, EADA, Atlantic Sun and Big South.
- Review Athletics analytical reports pertinent to financial and operational activities to include variance reports, budget amendments and quarterly reporting.
- Responsibility for overall accounting function in KSU Research & Service Foundation (KSURSF); review transactions for appropriate accounting treatment; develop and implement policies and procedures regarding disbursements from KSURSF accounts
- Ensuring Due To and Due From balances (AR & AP) between Foundations and the University are in agreement.
- Ensuring timeliness of Grant billings and drawdowns for KSURSF; ensure timeliness of payments to the University for grant sub-awards
- Managing the annual budget process including gathering information, preparing, compiling and gaining consensus on the annual budget.
- Ensuring compliance with the approved BOR policy of budgeting regarding the deadlines and the management of the budgeting process.
- Suggesting suitable amendments in the budget to the higher authorities and managerial staff of the concerned department.
- Striving for a transparent and logic driven budget where feasible.
- Consolidating the data for budget and preparing a thorough budget presentation
- Providing a regular overview of the financial status of all the operations, including key ratios and variances of information and ratios to prior years.
- Submitting budget to the higher management of the organization and the USG for further scrutiny and approval in accordance with the approved policy.
- Monitoring the budget throughout the year and analyzing actual results to budgets and forecasts, including preparing the Quarterly Budget to Actuals Report.
- Projecting quarterly forecasts taking into considerations the various projects undertaken by the organizations and also help the higher officials in management of financial resources.
- Resolving budget issues with regard to Payroll, Purchasing and Accounts Payable.
- Responsibility for interfacing with USG on mapping and reporting of Budget to Actuals Reports and Annual Expenditure reports.
- Responsibility for monitoring surplus deficit throughout the year, collecting and maintaining the consolidated unfunded list and facilitating the prioritization of spending.
- Acts as liaison with Deans and Vice Presidents on Budget issues.
- Acts as liaison with Business Managers on budget, policy and procedure issues.
As part of the background check process, this position WILL require a satisfactory Consumer Credit check and MVR (Motor Vehicle Report) as a condition of employment. See http://hr.kennesaw.edu/managers/docs/Credit_check_criteria.pdf and http://www.usg.edu/hr/manual/motor_vehicle_use for policy guidelines.
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and/or veteran status.
Bachelor's degree and 9+ years comparable/related experience; management/supervisory skills are required.
- Master's degree
- Higher Education experience
- Have unquestionable personal and professional integrity
- Be an accomplished manager, at ease supervising a high-performing team of managers and staff.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or equivalent is required; CPA preferred; Master's Degree preferred; higher education experience preferred.