Stationary Engineer - Temporary
- Under general supervision, is responsible for the operation, maintenance, adjustments, testing and repair of steam power plant, air conditioning, chiller plant, fire protection systems, electromechanical building equipment and related auxiliary systems in public buildings; performs related work.
- Operates, maintains repairs and adjusts manuals and automatic gas and oil fired boilers, furnaces, steam reducing stations, engines, turbines , pumps, valves, heat exchangers, generators, motors, water treatment systems, cooling towers, condensers, evaporators, emergency generators and associated equipment for heating, ventilating, air conditioning, and lighting in public buildings and refuse incinerators.
- Performs periodic inspections of equipment and repairs of such equipment.
- Schedules, performs and may oversee preventive maintenance.
- Directs the work of oilers, high pressure plant tenders and other subordinate personnel assigned to HVAC plant operations.
- Takes responsible charge of a watch and while so engaged, supervises and directs subordinates personnel; addresses emergency repairs as required.
- Operates control consoles in control rooms for building maintenance and building automation systems.
- Adjusts HVAC systems water chemistry through testing, treatment, retesting and recording of readings.
- Prepares requisitions for materials and spare parts in accordance with College procedures.
- Orients, trains and monitors subordinates and other personnel on plant operations and job related safety.
- Reads meters, gauges and other recording devices keeping logs of same.
- Prepares and maintains records and makes reports of both a technical and informational nature regarding HVAC maintenance and repair.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
This is a temporary appointment for up to one year. All applicants must take current Open Competitive Exam #7027 to be considered for the position.
- A valid License for High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer issued by the New York City Department of Buildings.
- A valid certificate of qualification for Refrigerating Machine Operator (unlimited capacity) issued by the New York City Fire Department and a CFC Certificate issued by EPA for Handling Refrigerants.
For appointment in certain Colleges, candidates will also be required, within 90days from the day of appointment, to obtain a valid Standpipe Certificate and Automatic Sprinkler Certificate issued by the New York City Fire Department.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Access CUNYfirst Portal
June 20, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Borough of Manhattan CC
Job Title: Stationary Engineer - Temporary
Job ID: 16785
Full/Part Time: Full-Time