Web Application Developer - University of Illinois Extension
College of Agricultural Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
University of Illinois Extension
Web Application Developer - A1700092
The Web Application Developer serves as a regular, full time, 12 month academic professional with primary responsibility for designing, developing and supporting websites and web applications to enable Extension's outreach mission and internal functions. This includes website development and content management systems, data analytics and visualization support, internal business applications, workflow processes and university systems integration.
One full time position is available.
Location: Urbana-Champaign Campus
This is a security-sensitive position. Comprehensive background checks, including but not limited to a criminal conviction information check, a CANTS check, and a review of the Registered Sex Offender list, will be conducted.
Specific responsibilities of the Web Application Developer are as follows:
- Develop and deploy new and enhance existing database-driven websites, mobile applications and internal business applications to meet Extension's program and operational needs.
- Work with Extension graphic designers to develop standards-based user interface and experience functionality in web and mobile applications.
- Build and extend Extension web architecture within an integrated at-scale campus and cloud service environment.
- Maintain, evaluate, and support U of I Extension digital applications and databases.
- Provide technical leadership in the development and maintenance of Extension digital tools.
- Develop and maintain website content management systems and tools within Drupal and LAMP architecture.
- Develop Extension systems that integrate with University financial and administrative systems (including Banner) and other vendor-provided systems.
- Develop data analysis, visualization and reporting tools.
- Serve as Tier 2 support for web applications to resolve customer issues to satisfaction.
- Collaborate with web team members to improve the overall software design, development, testing, release, and support processes.
- Collaborate with desktop support team members to provide excellent customer service.
- Maintain, support and develop migration plans for legacy applications and code base.
- Conduct analysis of Extension tools to ensure their quality, security, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Produce documentation of web applications including requirements and design documents, code documentation, user documentation and other reports as needed.
- Engage productively in web team agile development process, effectively estimating time-to-completion for project tasks and working efficiently to produce tangible deliverables.
- Research new technologies relevant to the area of web application development to ensure that Extension leverages modern technologies.
- Ensure protection and security of data that is accessed, collected, or stored by web applications and databases.
- Comply with Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity policies and guidelines in all aspects of University work and responsibilities. Assist unit staff with data collection for Affirmative Action, Gender, and Targeted reports if needed.
Administrative Relationship: The Web Application Developer is administratively responsible to the Web Application Development Manager.
- Preferred: Master's degree in Computer Science or related field. Understanding of multiple web-hosting platforms and portal applications. Experience developing and maintaining websites at UIUC or another academic environment. Ability to monitor the online presence of college, department, and unit websites. Experience editing and creating documentation. Experience participating in diverse workgroups. Strong skills in User Experience design. Skills in writing SQL Stored Procedures and Triggers. Experience in software development lifecycle, quality assurance, release management, and problem resolution. Demonstrated excellence in customer service. Knowledge of website frameworks and Content Management Systems (ex. Drupal, WordPress, .NET, and Bootstrap). Knowledge of the University of Illinois shared technology services.
The position is a full-time, benefits-eligible, non-tenure, academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Generous vacation and sick leave. State Universities Retirement System. Group health, dental, vision and life insurance.
Application Procedure: To apply, go to http://go.illinois.edu/A1700092. Log in to your account and upload a cover letter and resume, as well as the names and contact information of three professional references. Resume dates must be in month/year format and employment history, at a minimum, should include all work dating back to the completion of your undergraduate degree. Positions that were less than full-time/100% must be noted as being part-time. Transcripts may be requested at a later date. To receive full consideration, all requested application materials must be submitted via the online system by the close date of May 19, 2017.
For further information about the position please contact Adena Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org. For technical assistance with the online application process, call 217-333-6747 or email email@example.com.
Illinois is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or criminal conviction history. Illinois welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).
Organization Name: Web Development
College Name or Administrative Unit: ACES - Extension
Category: Academic Professional
Open Date: 02/20/2017
Close Date: 05/19/2017