LAB RESEARCH ANALYST I
LAB RESEARCH ANALYST I
Duke Human Vaccine Institute - Admin
RESEARCH ANALYST I (Bonsignori lab)
- Isolate B cells from specimens collected from individuals or non-human primates, including HIV-positive individuals and specimens containing other human pathogens.
- Execute large scale cultures of primary cells and high-throughput screenings using multiple techniques (e.g. ELISA, tzm-bl-based neutralization assays, etc.).
- Maintain human primary and immortalized EBV-transformed human B cell lines.
- Extract RNA from fresh or frozen samples and perform PCR of immunoglobulin genes.
- Produce and purify monoclonal antibodies from transiently transfected cell cultures.
- Document, compile, analyze, and draw preliminary conclusions from experimental results.
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipment, including complex automation systems (e.g. Biomek).
- Draft, revise and update standard operating procedures, and act as laboratory technical liaison.
- Prepare culture media, chemicals, reagents and solutions, and work maintaining strict sterile techniques.
- Maintain inventory of material and supplies for performance of duties and laboratory goals.
- Develop or adapt/optimize assays in response to newly arising needs and new lines of research.
- Perform other duties as requested by the Principal Investigator (PI).
- Confer with PI and laboratory personnel to review work assignments and develop experimental plans.
- Maintain rigorous and detailed logs of executed work, ensure data integrity and accessibility, and generate timely, concise and precise reports.
Must be willing and available to work flexible hours and, when needed, in shifts.
Education, Skills, & Experience Requirements
- Work requires a bachelor's degree in biology, or other directly related scientific field.
- Work require two years of relevant research experience.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Prefer Master's degree and 3+ years of relevant experience in academic or industry settings.
- Proven record of proficiency in processing high volumes of human or non-human primate primary cells, DNA/RNA extraction and PCR, and/or protein production.
- Must be able to manage multiple and rapidly changing priorities with firm deadlines in a highly dynamic and competitive environment.
- Must be self-motivated, pro-active, detail-oriented, well organized and approach procedures with critical thinking of the technical aspects.
- Meticulous tracking of reagents and experimental record keeping are required.
- Must generate deliverables and fulfill responsibilities in a timely fashion with minimal or no supervision.
- Must have excellent communication skills and be able to work in a highly interactive team environment.
- Previous experience in working in BSL-3 conditions.
- Previous experience with automated liquid handling and cell separation systems (e.g. AutoMacs, Biomek automation systems, Biotek washing/dispensing systems).
- Previous responsibilities as laboratory manager.
- Knowledge of VBA for MS Excel and programming are pluses.
1888 LAB RESEARCH ANALYST I
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology or other directly related scientific field.
Work requires two years of research experience. A related master's degree may offset required years of experience on a 1:1 basis, e.g., a two year master's degree in lieu of two years of experience. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.