Duke Human Vaccine Institute - Admin
Biostatistician II - Job Description
A Biostatistician II is needed to provide support and assistance to the researchers at DHVI. This will include, but not be limited to, compiling data from multiple sources, helping to plan and complete statistical analysis, and preparing the analysis for presentation and publication. The Biostatistician II will be expected to work closely with the Director of the Biostatistics Center as well as PIs from DHVI.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Director of Biostatistics on the management of various data bases.
- Organize the data management and analysis relative to specific statistical analysis plans.
- Coordinate data management and data analysis with partners .
- Create programs in SAS and/or R for the creation of analysis datasets.
- Follow all SOP in the management and development of datasets.
- Create programs in SAS and/or R for statistical analysis.
- Perform documentation of programs and datasets created.
- Production of deliverable that addresses the needs outlined by the researcher in the statistical analysis plan.
- Consult with PIs on developing appropriate statistical analysis plans.
- Develop and present research for meetings or conferences.
- Aid in the preparation of journal manuscripts and grant applications for peer review,
- Learn and develop new statistical and programming skills as needed.
- Manage, track, and analyze data sets related to the evaluation of antibody responses to HIV-1 vaccines for human and preclinical studies
- Work together with the binding antibody laboratory PI, DHVI statistical core and laboratory staff to manage, track and quality control datasets. Interact with scientists performing the assays and the DHVI statistical core to further develop processes and tools for optimal data analysis of large high content data sets.
- Oversee the use of the custom tools. Interact as primary liaison with lab data operations and statistical teams of an off-site collaborator (daily) to resolve data uploads, corrections/modifications and QCs. Evaluate system problems, develop and implement corrective action plans.
- Develop and implement systems for data quality control. Implement performance metrics for measuring workflow efficiency and generate work flow analysis on a per-study and per-technician basis. Create binding antibody data sets from these data in conjunction with the appropriate oversight groups (e.g., the Quality Assurance Unit) to maintain Good (Clinical) Laboratory Practices.
- Maintain and query databases of binding antibody data including all quality control parameters (including Levey-Jennings tracking, preset positivity criteria, and validation data). Assist with the implementation of new data queries as requested.
- Collaborate with the DHVI statistical programming unit to analyze large data sets. Provide feedback to the statistical programming unit and to the investigators or program management as appropriate to refine queries and analyses, developing reports on new data queries as appropriate.
- Provide data summary and analysis reports including both data and text summaries. Work with the DHVI statistical core to mine clinical information databases.
- Initial laboratory training will be provided on scientific laboratory methods for the evaluation of antibody responses for educational purposes to provide an overview of the work.
- Work with the laboratory PI, statistical team and laboratory staff to perform additional duties as needed for the completion and evaluation of antibody responses.
- Perform any other data management or statistical tasks deemed necessary by the Director for completion of projects.
- SAS programming experience.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Master's level plus 2 years experience preferred.
- Experience with R or WinBugs preferred.
- An interest in immunology, HIV-1 biology, and/or vaccine evaluation is desired
Working at DHVI
- The DHVI environment offers a unique collaborative opportunity in scientific community.
- Competitive salary and excellent benefits from Duke University.
- Collaboration with highly motivated, world-class colleagues from around the world.
- The chance to participate in research at the highest level.
- Exposure to many leaders in the field in genomics, bioinformatics, and biostatistics as well as virology and immunology.
2681 BIOSTATISTICIAN II
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a minimum of a Master's degree in (bio)statistics or related field and no relevant experience, or a bachelors degree in (bio)statistics or related field and 2 years relevant experience, or an equivalent combination or relevant education and/or work experience.
OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE Prior contribution to analysis of research projects, a working knowledge of SAS, and solid command of the English language is required.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.