Working Title: Program Director
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: PBHS Public Health Sciences Admin
Posting Date: 05-17-2017
*Position located in San Antonio, TX*
The Department of Public Health Sciences at the University of Virginia seeks a Research Director to function as the manager for the overall Air Force research studies located on bases throughout Texas and Mississippi (JBSA, San Antonio, TX; Keesler AFB, Biloxi, MS; Sheppard AFB, Wichita Falls, TX; and Goodfellow AFB, San Angelo, TX). These operations are off-site locations which are part of the Department of Public Health Sciences at the University of Virginia.
The incumbent is responsible for managing all aspects of the planning, implementation, and coordination of the research procedures at these bases. Responsibilities also include assisting with the development of interventions, evaluations, assessments, and protocols; serving as a senior research staff member and advising other senior staff regarding collaboration with the Air Force for Department of Public Health Sciences research; training and supervising project employees as specified, as well as establishing goals and objectives for the research team. The incumbent is responsible for monitoring study activities to ensure compliance with protocols and regulatory and institutional policies; identifying protocol problems, informing investigators of problems, and assisting in problem resolution efforts; providing updates and status reports to senior research leadership as requested.
A Master's degree with three to five years related research experience, including consenting study participants, providing behavioral counseling, and working with research databases, OR A Bachelor's degree with five years related experience as above. Experience to include association with the military is also strongly preferred. The successful candidate must have knowledge of research methodology; excellent computer skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills; supervisory experience; managerial experience; and counseling experience.
This is a restricted positions contingent upon the continued availability of funding. Position will remain open until filled.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of research methodology.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with military, professional, technical and support staff from a variety of disciplines, settings, and backgrounds.
- Familiarity with military terminology and conduct.
- Ability to collect, process, and analyze a very large amount of diverse information, with special attention to quality and validity.
- Ability to complete budget sheets; including planning for people and resources.
- Skill in prioritizing assignments and completing work in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ability to attend to details of the projects.
- Ability to establish priorities and work independently.
- Ability to perform basic office procedures.
- Ability to critically interpret and analyze the content, quality, and consistency of Research Data Forms.
- Ability to multi-task and manage several projects in parallel, paying attention to detail .
- Ability to travel 10% of the time.
- Demonstrated ability of building, leading, motivating, and assessing diverse teams, including experienced and junior professionals.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=81917