Director of Fiscal and Business Operations
Job Title: Director of Fiscal and Business Operations
Job ID: 2017596
Location: Storrs Campus
The Director of Fiscal and Business Operations for UConn Student Health, Counseling, and Wellness Services is responsible and accountable for the effective functioning of the business operations of the unit with direct impact on budget management, financial operations, patient billing revenue cycle, decision support, purchasing and facilities management for Student Health Services, Counseling and Mental Health, and Wellness & Prevention. In addition, this position will provide business development expertise, conduct internal and external financial analyses and benchmarking, oversee financial and operational performance, and manage contracts and purchasing workflow. The ideal candidate has expertise in national and statewide laws and regulations related to finance, healthcare billing, and insurance contracts. This position will create and implement policies and procedures to reflect national and state rules and regulations.
This position provides strategic direction, best practice and oversight through the establishment of protocols to support compliant financial processes for budget and insurance billing revenue cycle functions within the department. The Director reports to the Executive Director of Student Health Services and is responsible for the direct supervision of the following positions/departments: budgets, contracts, insurance and billing, claims and coding, procurement and capital purchases, facilities, and accounts payable/receivable.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for all State, Federal, University and Departmental regulatory requirements and for creating policies and procedures that adhere to these regulations for budget management, third party insurance billing, accounting, purchasing, capital equipment and the oversight of the student health insurance plan.
- Responsible for the maintenance of all financial records, budget control and internal record keeping. Designs, implements and monitors accounting systems and procedures for all programs and cost centers and assures adherence to sound accounting principles.
- Prepares timely budget projections and analyses, analyzes fiscal impact of various policy options and/or new programs; makes recommendations for improved cost effectiveness and budget utilization.
- Responsible for all State and Federal regulations related to medical billing and FERPA, including all aspects of insurance billing, collections, and revenue cycle operations. Responsible for oversight of appropriate coding diagnoses and procedures, submission of claims to insurance companies, determining patient balances and collecting payments, applying or rejecting payments through remittance processing, collecting payments from third party insurers, and performing utilization review for necessity of medical services.
- Develops and maintains revenue cycle policies and procedures and ensures adherence to these throughout the revenue capture, billing, receiving and posting processes.
- Represents the Executive Director in all areas relating to human resources and labor relations; makes independent decisions on the strategic vision provided by the Executive Director; makes recommendations for reorganization that enhance operational efficiencies and reduce financial expenditures.
- Responsible for determining the Universal Billing Charge Master fees.
- Supervises staff to ensure compliance and monitoring of functions within the revenue cycle, purchasing, budgeting and inventory departments.
- Responsible for developing inventory management and capital purchasing policies and procedures to ensure inventory integrity. Ensure compliance with inventory management audit requirements and establishes policies and procedures for capital replacement to ensure patient safety.
- Responsible for negotiation, contract evaluation, financial impact analysis, issue identification, finalization of contracts and any other function with respect to contracts for Student Health Services in partnership with Procurement. Prepares and executes purchases and other agreements in accordance with University and State regulations.
- Responsible for the Student Health Insurance Plan and the evaluation of patterns and trends in insurance reimbursement to help determine provision and payment for services to enhance student health.
- Responsible for the oversight, budgeting and management of personnel for a large department of over 100 employees ensuring proper procedures are followed for hires, leave of absences, terminations and other personnel actions.
- Master's degree with emphasis in accounting, finance, business administration, healthcare administration or related field.
- A minimum of ten years of experience in budget management, financial management or financial analysis in a health care setting.
- A minimum of five years of direct supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, nationally recognized standards and guidelines related to healthcare finance.
- Knowledge of computer financial reporting systems.
- Experience with state/government reporting.
This is a full-time, permanent position. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes full benefits.
Please apply online at UConn Jobs at www.jobs.uconn.edu, to submit a letter of application, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references. Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2017596)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on June 16, 2017.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.