IT Support Manager
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking a full-time IT Support Manager.
The working IT Support Manager position leads assigned technical support staff in support of faculty and staff on both the Niles and Dowagiac campuses. This includes maintaining and updating PC hardware and software, printer, audio visual, and network support. This position is required to perform analysis of network needs and contributes to design of network architecture, integration, and installation for the College. The working IT Support Manager position is a full-time position that reports directly to the Executive Director of Computing Services/CIO and is responsible for, but not limited to the following:
• Creates and executes project work plans and revise as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
• Act as an escalation point for staff and instructional help desk requests and incidents that fall under the technical and network support team responsibilities.
• Identifies resources needed and assigns individual responsibilities.
• Create, update, and manage detailed documentation for end users as well as IT team members.
• Manages day-to-day operations and projects while minimizing exposure and risk.
• Manage and control assets along entire equipment lifecycle.
• Provide technical computer, server, audio visual, printer, and networking support for both the Niles and Dowagiac campuses.
• Maintain Licensing and Maintenance agreements as necessary and verify licensing is in compliance.
• Recommend, and plan for client hardware and software updates and patches as needed to PCs, Laptops, Macs, IPad/Tablets, network, printers, and projectors.
• Coordinate installation of hardware and software for all College employees.
• Evaluate hardware and software working with vendors to provide the best quality and cost in order to meet with college requirements.
• Communicates and coordinates network schedule, backups, and downtime for department and campus wide announcement.
• Keep supervisor apprised of project and work-order status and issues.
• Hold regular status meetings with team and keep them informed of changes within organization and general corporate news on a timely bases.
• Maintain professional and technical knowledge remaining on the forefront of emerging industry practices.
• Identifies opportunities for improvement and make constructive suggestions for change.
• Provide training and support to team, and end-user clients.
• Manage and supervise the work and staff including, student workers, of the help desk, technical and network support team.
• Train, coach/mentor, and manage all staff under his/her leadership in regards to goals and benchmark setting, employee development, communication and leadership growth.
• Strong analytical and problem resolution skills to assist with troubleshooting for client issues on a timely bases.
• Previous supervisory experience.
• Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, System Technology field or its equivalent
• CompTIA A+ and CompTIA Network + certification or equivalent knowledge.
• Network monitoring and other network administrative tools.
• Computer, printer and audio visual service and repair
• Operating systems including Windows, Linux, and Mac OS
• System Administration VMWare and Microsoft Active Directory
• Helpdesk procedures and ticket tracking
• Knowledge of diagnostic utilities
• Excellent leadership interpersonal, verbal and communication skills in both technical and non-technical language
• Ability to inspire team and coworkers to attain goals and pursue excellence.
• Able to multi-task multiple projects at the same time under pressure
• Effectively prioritize, and good organizational and time management skills.
• Manages the process of innovative change effectively.
• Ability to identify and resolve issues and complete duties assigned in a timely fashion
• Exceptional customer service orientation
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard as well as seeing to review materials for accuracy.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information with students, staff and public.
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
• Ability to maneuver around campus.
Posting Number 20110552
Job Category Staff
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email
- * Do you have at least a Bachelor's degree or higher?
- Cover Letter
- Academic Transcripts
- Optional Documents