Part-Time Professional Tutor
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking a Part-Time Professional Tutor who is dedicated, enthusiastic and experienced.
Professional Tutors report to the Tutoring Support Services Coordinator. Professional Tutors provide support and guidance to students in a variety of coaching roles. They are active both in the classroom and in the Learning Center, interacting with students in both individual and group situations.
Professional tutors, as staff members, may be responsible for but are not limited to the following:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide writing support services to students, faculty, and staff.
• Provide class specific tutoring for all SMC students.
• Maintain documentation of each tutoring session.
• Administer Learning Styles Assessments.
• Assist in recruiting, interviewing, and mentoring new peer tutors each semester
• Assist the Coordinator in developing and maintaining relationships with key faculty.
• Assist in presenting workshops and seminars each semester.
• Attend all training sessions and staff meetings unless otherwise noted by the Coordinator.
• Meet with the Coordinator 1-2 times each semester for review/evaluation.
• Present a professional demeanor at all times in both personality and dress.
Associate’s, Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree
• Basic material presented in college classes.
• Computer and office applications, particularly Microsoft Office and internet/intranet usage.
• Ability to work independently, use sensible judgment and make decisions.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work well with individuals with diverse backgrounds.
• Ability to exchange information with students, staff and public.
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Interested applicants should apply online. For further information please contact the hiring manager, Louis Noakes, for more information – (269) 782-1463 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting Number 20110563
Job Category Staff
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email
- * Do you have at least an earned Associates degree or equivalent college credit?
- Academic Transcripts
- Cover Letter
- Optional Documents