Desktop Support Technician
Posting Date May 17, 2017
Position Title Desktop Support Technician
Vacancy # V-1270
Department Technical Support Services
Division Information Technology
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
Reporting to the Associate Director of IT Support Services, the Desktop Support Technician is responsible for providing the end user community with the software and hardware components required to support the academic programs, research and administrative needs of the University and to maintain our strategic commitment to infuse technology, wherever appropriate, into the teaching, learning and administrative processes at Montclair State University. This position will be proactively involved with creation of the standard and secure images for Windows computers based on industry standards. In addition, this position will assist the University Community with hands-on, remote and phone support in the course of troubleshooting both software and hardware components.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist with the creation, deployment and maintenance of enterprise-wide Windows standard and secure images.
• Work closely with Systems Center Configuration Management (SCCM) team to ensure that each managed client is connecting to the system.
• Manage the distribution of the secure image to clients to ensure the security and delivery of anti-virus and Bit 9 products for Windows devices.
• Provide hands-on or remote support on a variety of technical issues- examples include: desktop, laptop hardware and software; network troubleshooting, in collaboration with the networking group.
• Install maintain and upgrade equipment and its associate infrastructure.
• Technician will be required to work closely with IT Service Desk and other support teams, including the Server, Network and Application Support Teams to deliver and support defined systems on windows platform.
• Work with Technical Support Service team on large-scale computer deployments, software rollouts and upgrades.
• Coordinate the receipt and return of warranty repair parts logistics with administrative staff.
• Provide desktop technical support in response to ServiceNow (SNOW) incident requests.
• Respond to and resolve incidents within established Service Level Agreements (SLA).
• Provide input to the Associate Director of IT Support Services on the effectiveness of client desktop support system methods and procedures as part of the continuous service improvement initiative.
• Troubleshooting, software installs/fixes, and document resolutions for desktop-initiated requests.
• Proactively identify workstation software improvements and enhancements.
• Understand the interdependencies of the windows desktop operating system as it relates to troubleshooting of printers, copiers, fax machines, and multi-functional devices.
• Support software installation, remediation and removal.
• Adhere to asset tracking, ticketing and other processes/procedures defined by the client.
• Ensure and promote compliance with established security policies.
• Collaborate with the Information Security and Identity Management (ISIM) group to provide accurate security configurations and settings and Patch Management for Windows and Mac clients.
• Perform "Cradle to Grave" call resolution for hardware and/or software problems
• Perform network printer/Multi-Function Device installs, upgrades & problem diagnosis
• Customer focused and encompasses a wide range of duties required to meet specified service level targets and customer requirements covering investigations, implementation, support, and maintenance
• Create and execute detailed project plans for all assigned projects.
• Prepare and author documentation about supported software applications, hardware configurations, policies and procedures related to the help desk; update knowledgebase as necessary.
• Provide secondary support for Audio Visual equipment and increase knowledge of audio-visual terms, policies, hardware, software and troubleshooting techniques that will further meet the ongoing goals of the unit
• Establish and maintains liaison and cooperative working relationships with University Community members, private agencies and/or the public to accomplish the objectives of the Division of Information Technology.
• Attend and participate in departmental and University events and functions
• Continuously improve technical knowledge through training and self-study
• Serve on standing and ad hoc committees as requested
• Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Bachelor's Degree with at least three (3) years related experience or equivalent; or five to 7 years (7-10) related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience working for an IT department, preferably higher education
• A+ Certification, a plus
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Systems Center Configuration Management (SCCM), or comparable deployment tool to be used in deploying software, updates, and imaging.
• Must have experience distributing images using Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT), Symantec Ghost or other enterprise tools.
• Hands-on experience managing Windows 7 operating system in an enterprise environment.
• Working knowledge and experience of installing and troubleshooting a broad range of applications on desktops and laptops including peripherals on Win7 workstations.
• Must have understanding of Windows domain structure, Active Directory, Terminal Services, remote control support, NTFS and file level permissions.
• Knowledge and understanding of remote technologies.
• Working knowledge of Computer Networks and connectivity (LAN/WAN/TCP). A general understanding of the IT architectures (including Web, Databases and Active Directory).
• Intermediate working knowledge of MS Office Suite.
• Ability to propose, discuss and evaluate potential solutions, workarounds and resolutions with customers. Ability to apply logical thinking to resolving complex support requests and system faults.
• Ability to prioritize activities in line with SLAs and work to agreed deadlines.
• Ability to build customer confidence of systems through simple explanation and demonstration resolution of incident using remote support.
• Experience using Service Now or other Incident Management Ticketing System.
• Working knowledge of the Mac OSX operating system.
• Experience supporting users with rich media enabled classroom technology, a plus
• Ability to work evenings or weekends on as per needed basis.
• Demonstrate commitment to high quality customer service.
• Maintains integrity and confidentiality of all aspects of the Division of Information Technology.
• Ability to motivate, lead and coach/supervise students in a desktop support role.
• Ability to prepare clear and detailed correspondence.
• Ability to speak in public.
• Ability to represent the university at conferences, seminars or meetings.
• Ability to lift 40lbs or more.
Commensurate with Experience
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Apply By Open until position is filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION