Posting Date July 7, 2017
Position Title Groundsworker (Multiple)
Vacancy # VC-372
Department Facilities Services
Division University Facilities
The Groundsworker under the direction of the Head Grounds Supervisor or their designee, shall perform tasks that result in first-rate care of the University's landscape.
The position must be available to work all shifts, overtime and holidays.
- Monitors all campus grounds to determine needs for services such as, but not limited to: fertilizing, insect and disease control, weeding, dead plant removal, watering, pruning, etc.
- Maintains assigned area and picks up litter and debris on an as needed basis.
- Maintains lawns and softscapes to maintain a neat and horticultural appealing appearance. This includes the following services; mowing, trimming, edging.
- Hand weeds all areas that are not otherwise addressed via mowing or string trimming.
- Waters all new plant material and floral displays to help with establishment and survival.
- Prunes trees and shrubs to maintain their health and aesthetic value as well as to maintain street, walkway, building, signage and lighting clearance.
- Installs and maintains seasonal plantings using annual flowers, perennial flowers, ornamental grasses, bulbs, etc. Reports to supervisor the need for any services or any unsafe action and/or condition.
- Is mindful of and places a premium upon all rules and regulations pertaining to operation of tools, machinery, etc.
- Maintains and prepares athletic fields and adjacent areas for practices and events, including but not limited to: dragging, vacuuming, lining, clean-up, etc. Edges, cultivates, and mulches tree rings and shrub beds.
- Removes leaves from lawns, walks, roads, parking lots, etc. on an as needed basis to maintain a clean and safe environment. Inspects, cleans and maintains all equipment and tools used in the performance of tasks.
- Prepares areas to be landscaped and installs landscape material as required. (Examples include soil, seed, sod, mulch, shrubs, trees, pavers, decorative stone, etc.)
- Builds skill base by attending landscape training sessions as assigned.
- Attends all safety training as identified by the leadership of the Grounds department.
- Acquires knowledge of and utilizes technology as required to fulfill duties (Examples include handheld devices, pagers, two-way radios, etc.
- Responds to emergencies in a timely and professional manner.
- Treats customers and coworkers with respect.
- Responds to and closes out all assigned work order requests in a timely fashion.
- On a daily basis, provides supervisor with a log that indicates all activities completed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
This position is designated as essential. The designation of essential requires employees at these 24/7 facilities to be present due to inclement weather situations.
Qualifications & Requirements
One year of experience in the performance of landscape maintenance work. May be required to obtain a New Jersey Commercial Pesticide Applicators License with certifications in categories 3A and 3B. Required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey. Ability to read, write, speak, understand or communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of the position.
O10: $31,432.26 - $43,798.71 *NOTE: Salaries for internal candidates are determined by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission's formula. Salaries for external candidates are determined up to $35,554.41.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Create profile and upload resume and cover letter as one document here: https://jobs-montclairedu.icims.com/jobs/1648/groundsworker/job
Apply By Open until Filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION