Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
Kirk Hansen Laboratory
Nature of Work:
This position is supervised by Kirk Hansen, PHD, Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
We seek a bright, energetic, motivated individual to be a member of a dedicated team focused on characterizing biomedical samples to understand health and disease at a molecular level. The position involves protein production and purification, analyzing biological samples using high performance liquid-chromatography and mass spectrometry, and performing data analysis. At times the candidate will be responsible for preparing samples, troubleshooting analytical instrumentation, meeting with collaborators, advising on experimental design and meaning of results, and assisting with preparation of scientific articles and presentations. Candidates must be self-motivated and capable of learning quickly and working independently. Daily tasks include recombinant protein production, protein purification, SDS-PAGE(1D-gel electrophoresis) analysis, protein sample preparation and digestion, metabolite extraction, ordering supplies, data reporting, and general laboratory maintenance. The candidate is likely to be involved with the investigation of one or more of the following biomedical questions 1. New roles for red blood cells in health and disease 2. What alterations in the tissue microenvironment leads to irreversible fibrosis 3. What systemic adaptations to trauma can be therapeutically targeted 4. Are DUF1220 containing genes the key to human intelligence.
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or (Cell) Biology.
- Strong aptitude for independently problem-solving and troubleshooting and repairing instrumentation, mechanical systems, and computers.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and excellent customer service skills.
- Good computer skills with proficiency with computer operating systems (Microsoft Windows, Mac OSX and Linux) and Microsoft Office (Excel, Powerpoint, Word)
- Previous research experience independently operating and maintaining liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry instrumentation are strongly preferred.
- Experience with proteomics strongly preferred.
- Experience with protein chemistry techniques (Bradford assays, SDS-PAge Gels, protein digestion).
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply by CU Careers only, no phone calls please.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 8881
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20085 - SOM-BioChem&Molecular Genetics
Posting Date: Mar 17, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Sue Brozowski
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00732289