Social Media Manager
Associate Director Social Media
Associate Director Social Media
Univ Relations Com & Mktng-Gen - 180000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm, with some night/weekend monitoring as assigned
As the chief communications organization for the University of North Texas, the Division of University Relations, Communications and Marketing department (URCM) collaborates with internal and external partners to:
* Advance and protect UNT's institutional identity and reputation.
* Reinforce and grow UNT's brand in graphics, images and words.
* Increase UNT's visibility in public and in the higher education marketplace.
* Support UNT's student recruitment, retention and graduation goals.
* Strengthen UNT's relevance and value to key audiences, including alumni, donors, faculty and staff members, and encourage community engagement.
The Division of University Relations, Communications and Marketing at UNT is seeking a Social Media Manager to join our team.
This is professional and administrative work guiding a team of communications specialists assigned to the university's primary Social Media Team setting the university-wide social media strategy based on best practices and creating engaging, informative and strategic social media content that showcase the university's strongest assets and supports UNT's progress in the achievement of its mission and goals. This person will be responsible for researching, testing and making recommendations on what new social/digital platforms the university should adopt for various communication practices, which will require staying abreast of the fast-paced evolution of social/digital trends and user experiences. The person in this position also manages the broad strategy and content goals, as well as oversees execution in scheduling and account launches, for university social media platforms by providing direction to work teams and team leaders; ensuring an integrated approach to sharing the university's messages with its audiences across social media channels. This employee directs the strategy, writing, editing and management of informative, entertaining and audience-appropriate content for the university's social media channels, as well as other university projects as assigned.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Works in collaboration with URCM Leadership Team as well as other URCM content managers to ensure social media strategies and content best supports university messages and goals.
* Thinks strategically to tie social media communication to the university's plan, goals and mission in fun, informative and engaging ways that do not alienate this social audience.
* Edits and approves social media content created.
* Embraces and develops a broad understanding of social media best practices and industry trends to continually evolve the university's social strategies to keep UNT forward-thinking and competitive with university peers and industry leaders.
* Explores, pilots/tests and makes recommendations for new social platforms the university should consider, as well as creating a strategy and overseeing execution.
* Establishes rapport with teams and fosters empowerment.
* Monitors and acts on university news and goals, higher education issues and trends, and current affairs in order to keep university audiences informed and messages in alignment with university goals/initiatives and social best practices/standards.
* Develops and executes university social media, overall communication/PR and media strategies related to high-profile events and university news to build the university's image and reputation as well as campus pride and community.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in related field and five years of professional related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Knowledge of social media monitoring tools and techniques.
* Experience and skills needed to write for and interact with the specific social media audience(s).
* Ability to conceptualize, write and edit strategic, accurate and concise content for defined audiences.
* Ability to coordinate large projects with numerous components over extended periods of time.
* Ability to supervise the work of others and effectively help them produce the best possible products on deadline.
* Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
* Ability to visually inspect print and online copy when self-editing or editing the copy of others.
* Extensive knowledge of spelling, grammar, punctuation and Associated Press and Chicago Manual styles.
* Knowledge of writing styles and guidelines for various media formats and ability to create, coordinate and edit copy for each format (print, digital/social media, video, broadcast, etc.).
The preferred candidate will possess five to seven years of professional experience, specifically in social media channels (i.e. at a newspaper or in a public relations office/agency, college or university). Two to three years of supervisory experience preferred; and a Bachelor's degree, preferably in Journalism or English; or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training that provides the following knowledge, skills and ability:
* Ability to conceptualize, plan and implement strategic communications and public relations projects.
* Familiarity with strategizing, planning and producing social media content for internal and external audiences, as well as knowledge of crisis communications as they pertain to social media.
* Ability to conceptualize, write and execute editorial content plans and strategies.
* Ability to supervise and coordinate the work of others.
Special Instructions to Applicants
* Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter, writing samples and a list of three professional references with their online application.
* Applicant also must submit examples of social media writing, as well as any other writing samples that would be relevant. Any strategy documents outlining particular social campaigns, including tactics and outcomes, also would be welcome.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting