University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant/Java Programmer
Nature of Work:
The Data Science to Patient Value (D2V, cuD2V.org) Program is a multidisciplinary research initiative that focuses on Big Data methods, their applications to medicine and health care delivery, and ultimately, the achievement of high value health patient-centered health care. D2V accomplishes this by creating an environment of collaboration and innovation in which experts in data science, health care delivery, and health services research work together to tackle important problems. D2V places a high priority on translation and dissemination, ensuring the 'products', be they analytic methods or care pathways, have maximal impact.
This position is for a Java developer who has extensive experience implementing new data analysis methods based on cutting-edge algorithms. This position also requires experience learning, adapting and improving existing Java codebases. Method performance optimization is one of the key tasks for this position. In addition, strong backend database skills are required to perform data analysis, data standardization, SQL query composition and optimization.
The programmer will be expected to work independently and in collaboration with other members of D2V and other projects. He or she will provide professional and effective solutions to provide advanced software programming support to D2V initiatives, Analytics core initiatives, and D2V scientific projects. This may include workflow and tool development, development and testing of computational and analytic solutions to challenges that arise for D2V record linkage project and other related projects, software design, algorithm design, and dissemination of results to a variety of audiences with varying levels of computational expertise. Preference will be given to those with broad programming experience with parallel processing, web programming, distributed analytics platforms and experience with complex data structures, cloud computing, techniques for reproducibility, and open source solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
As a key member of the record linkage project in D2V, this position encompasses a wide variety of responsibilities. Some specific examples include:
As a software developer:
- Develop, test, debug, and deploy software modules and databases according to software development best practices.
- Understand, refactor and improve codebase of an existing software system.
- Implement cutting-edge record linkage algorithms from published literature.
- Create requirement, design and testing documentation as necessary to support complex software development efforts.
- Implement improvements to existing data models, user interfaces, web services, reports, etc.
- Create system and software technical designs for new web applications.
- Actively keep abreast of technical trends in IT and Research Informatics, surfacing ideas for technical direction, system improvements, and new service opportunities.
As a team member:
- Work directly with external contactor to ensure the synchronization of concurrent development efforts.
- Conduct code reviews on the development efforts of other programmers.
- Consult with other developers on bug fixes and optimal software designs.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in a computer science, computer programming or closely related fields AND at least four (4) years of full-time relevant professional experience.
- Software development in Java: J2EE, JDBC, Apache Ant
- Experience with multi-threading and parallel computing in Java
- Deep understanding of database, and caching techniques
- Database: PostgreSQL, SQL Server, Oracle
- Ability to work with a high degree of independence and latitude
- Superb communication skills working with non-technical users and stakeholders
- Ability and willingness to work as a team member with other software developers
- Exceptional skills in data modeling, and object-oriented software development
- Proficiency in software debugging and troubleshooting
- Experience creating documentation and testing procedures
- Master degree in Computer Science or closely related fields
- Familiarity with multiple software development lifecycle methodologies, including traditional (waterfall) and agile approaches
- Experience with web services like REST.
- Experience with cloud-based frameworks such as Google Compute Engine, Big Query, Azure, AWS
- Experience with software development lifecycle tools: GitHub, FogBugz
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 9580
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20209 - SOM-MED-GIM
Posting Date: Jul 31, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Celsey Duritsa
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00733547