News Media Manager
News Media Manager
Assistant Director III
Univ Relations Com & Mktng-Gen - 180000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm, with some nights/weekends as needed for special events and issues
As the chief communications organization for the University of North Texas, the Division of University Relations, Communication and Marketing (URCM) collaborates with internal and external partners to:
* Advance and protect UNT's institutional identity and reputation.
* Reinforce and grow UNT's brand in graphics, images and words.
* Increase UNT's visibility in public and in the higher education marketplace.
* Support UNT's student recruitment, retention and graduation goals.
* Strengthen UNT's relevance and value to key audiences, including alumni, donors, faculty and staff members, and encourage community engagement.
The Division of University Relations, Communications and Marketing at UNT is seeking a News Media Manager to join our team.
This is administrative and professional work guiding a team of communications specialists in the development and placement of stories about the university in the global, national and regional news media markets to showcase the university's strongest assets and support UNT's progress in the achievement of its mission and goals. This person in this position will create and implement short-term and long-range plans to integrate news promotion efforts with UNT's Strategic Plan, and URCM's communication, marketing and branding goals. The News Media Manager also participates on the crisis and issues management response team.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
* Thinking strategically to tie news promotion to the university's goals and strategies to strengthen UNT's image and support the recruitment and retention of students overall.
* Leading a team of professional communicators in the execution of news promotion and broad communications work in support of the university's strategic goals; allocating resources appropriately to best align the workforce with the university's top initiatives.
* Working collaboratively with other managers and leaders in the division - and across campus - to ensure a cohesive use of university messaging in all university products, especially those produced by URCM.
* Networking with media representatives, on-campus sources and partner organizations to seek potential news coverage.
* Fostering positive working relationships with representatives of key media outlets.
* Coordinating and executing press conferences and media availability.
* Monitoring current affairs to best position UNT for potential issues but also to leverage timely news to pitch UNT faculty as experts to media outlets.
* Reporting the unit's productivity and ROI to leadership, capitalizing on the media monitoring and tracking system.
* Establishing a news strategy for the university and working with Director of Integrated Communications to ensure university initiatives and university-wide campaigns are promoted effectively.
* Developing and overseeing up-to-date methods of news dissemination, including News Service website content and the UNT Experts Database.
* Training and supervising News Media Team staff members to ensure they are on strategy and are productive members of the division.
* Providing feedback and insight, as well as editing writing, for News Media Team members.
* Handling news emergencies in coordination with the Director of Integrated Communication and/or the Associate Vice President and Vice President of URCM.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in related field and five years of professional related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Experience in higher education; three to five years of experience as a manager who motivates employees and encourages a team approach.
* Proven track record in conceptualizing, packaging and marketing news and feature stories for global, national and regional media markets.
* Ability to and experience in coordinating and effectively managing the work of others.
* Working knowledge of media outlets in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, Texas and national print and broadcast media with considerable knowledge of the methods, principles and practices of media relations and news promotion; news service experience in higher education desirable.
* Experience in using social media and content marketing as part of news promotion.
* Considerable knowledge of writing, editing, grammar, spelling and punctuation; Ability to write accurate and concise news promotion releases and feature stories using AP style.
* Skill in the use of word processing software packages, as well as internet applications and other computer tools.
* Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, conduct multiple tasks, establish and maintain effective working relationships.
* Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
* Ability to visually inspect printed and electronic materials and handle all aspects of a news conference and other situations in which much activity, noise and commotion will be occurring.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter, three writing samples (prefer News Releases or media pitches) and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting