Chief Academic Officer (CAO)
The Chief Academic Officer (CAO) reports directly to the President/CEO and is the key individual responsible for developing and implementing short-term and long-term academic plans. As part of the Executive Management Team, this individual will coordinate, define and communicate integrated plans for the growth and development in all academic areas. The CAO provides leadership and expertise to Deans and Program Directors. The ideal candidate is an experienced academic leader with demonstrable skills in strategic thinking, execution, development and administration of curriculum, budgeting and employee management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement strategic and operational academic activities, including metrics to track and evaluate progress
- Coordinate strategies with college leadership staff to achieve desired organizational results in areas of student satisfaction, student retention, graduation rates and student academic progress.
- Identify trends and needs to create program priorities and performance standards; assess operations using these criteria.
- Assess quality of program operations. Modify existing program services or create new program offerings to maintain or enhance program standing.
- Provide for program assessment reviews and addresses areas in need of attention.
- Facilitate creative changes in academic programming, processes, and procedures
- Ensure campus compliance with state Department of Education, accreditation, regulations and policies.
- Establish and maintain compliance with academic policy and procedure
- Oversee faculty and academic staff management, recruitment, orientation, professional development and evaluation activities in conjunction with Directors and Deans of Education.
- Assist in developing and managing the academic budget
- Act as College representative and liaison to Accrediting bodies; the general community and other organizations.
- Other related duties and projects
EdD or PhD in an education related field
- Six or more years of supervisory experience in an institution of higher education
- Administrative experience in an accredited college or university, experience in a proprietary college a plus
- Multi-campus experience preferred
- Teaching experience
- Strong leadership skills
- Orientation toward results
- Ability to work with others in a collegial and productive manner