Coordinator - Mathematics Learning Center
Announcement is hereby made for a 10-month, full-time, tenure track appointment beginning the Fall 2017 semester on the Ammerman Campus in Selden. Suffolk County Community College is an open admissions institution committed to serving a diverse student population in a variety of degree and career programs.
This is a Unit III position covered under the Faculty Association of Suffolk County Community College collective bargaining agreement with the College.
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at the Ammerman Campus seeks applicants to serve as the Mathematics Learning Center Coordinator and to teach Mathematics. The successful candidate must have the ability to teach the full range of courses taught by the department, and must demonstrate the ability to communicate Mathematics to students of all levels. The College seeks faculty who value the opportunity to form mentoring relationships with our students. The successful candidate will demonstrate an ongoing commitment to excellence in teaching and to professional development. They will also demonstrate openness to pedagogical innovation, including, but not limited to, the integration of technology and distance education into the curriculum. Duties will include:
- Oversee and promote the operations of the Mathematics Learning Center.
- Teach one Mathematics course per semester and work 28 hours per week in the Center during the fall and spring semester over a five-day schedule. A 35-hour work week is required outside of the defined fall and spring semester.
- Shall work 35 weeks per academic year between 9/1 and 6/30, including all recess periods as per the FA contract.
- Provide tutoring for Mathematics courses in the Learning Center.
- Supervise tutors and coordinate tutoring schedules for all Mathematics tutoring services.
- Maintain a student usage database and provide reports to inform Learning Center planning and resource allocation.
- Provide and coordinate alternate testing services for Mathematics courses.
- Teach assigned courses in accordance with the description published in the College catalog and the approved course outline.
- Engage in assessment of college-wide learning outcomes and demonstrate the use of the results of these assessments in courses.
- Actively participate in departmental, campus, and College committees/meetings.
- Participate in academic advisement and curriculum development.
- Demonstrate scholarly work in the discipline.
- Assist the Academic Chair with the development and implementation of special programs and events coordinated by the Mathematics Learning Center and the Mathematics and Computer Science Department.
- Other duties as assigned by the Department Chair.
A Master’s degree in Mathematics, Statistics, or Applied Mathematics is required. A Ph.D. in one of these areas is preferred. Teaching experience at the college level is preferred.
Click on the following link:
Select position #17-46 and read the description.
Click Apply Online to submit resume and cover letter.