Group Fitness Instructor
Earlham College seeks certified Group Fitness Instructors for its Wellness Programs. The following class positions for motivated and energetic individuals are available:
- Strength and Toning
- Water Aerobics
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Present a positive attitude towards aerobic exercise and regular physical activity while leading Group Fitness patrons through varied aerobic exercises;
- Provide appropriate music to prepared routines;
- Attend scheduled staff meetings and other required in-service training sessions;
- Adhere to recommended Group Fitness Instructor guidelines;
- Responsible for class and obtaining substitutes when needed through the Sub Forms;
- Monitor attendance at each Group Fitness session;
- Describe and demonstrate exercises and aerobic routines to be performed by Group Fitness patrons;
- Maintain program variety in order to constantly motivate participants to continue attending;
- Check heart rates at the appropriate times;
- Advise Group Fitness patrons of possible injury risks;
- Report injuries immediately to the Group Fitness Supervisor/Assistant Director of Wellness Programs;
- Relay positive and negative feedback from Group Fitness patrons to the Group Fitness Supervisor/Assistant Director of Wellness Programs;
- Encourage Group Fitness participants to attend other classes, provide feedback through the "Group Fitness" evaluation forms or verbally, utilize other services/areas of the Athletics & Wellness Center, etc.;
- Make announcements of Wellness Program events;
- Support Wellness Program activities through participation and volunteerism; and
- Other duties as assigned by the Group Fitness Supervisor/Assistant Director of Wellness Programs.
- Knowledge of the basic principles of physical fitness;
- Knowledge and skill in the area of aerobic activity;
- Positive leadership skills and role model;
- Ability to clearly describe and adequately demonstrate performed exercises by Group Fitness patrons;
- Ability to assess the needs and capabilities of program participants, possibly resulting in adjustment of intensity levels; and
- Ability to build a rapport or professional relationship with Group Fitness patrons.
- Current group fitness instructor / group exercise certification or willingness to become certified.
- Current CPR / First Aid certification or willingness to become certified.
- Past class instruction.
POSITION Group Fitness Instructor
REQ NUMBER WEL-16-00002
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION Earlham College, an independent, residential college, aspires to provide the highest quality undergraduate education in the liberal arts, including the sciences, shaped by the distinctive perspectives of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). Earlham emphasizes the pursuit of truth, lack of coercion, respect for others, openness to new truth, integrity and application of what is known to improving our world.
Earlham College and the Earlham School of Religion are located in Richmond, Indiana, a city of about 39,000. Founded in 1847 by the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), Earlham College is an independent, four-year, coeducational, residential institution of higher learning. Approximately 1,200 undergraduate students attend Earlham College on its 800-acre tree-shaded campus. Earlham College offers Bachelor of Arts degrees in 40 disciplinary and interdisciplinary fields, as well as permitting self-designed studies and a cooperative program in engineering. Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education degrees also are offered at Earlham College.
EOE STATEMENT Earlham College, an independent, residential college, aspires to provide the highest-quality undergraduate education in the liberal arts, including the sciences, shaped by the distinctive perspectives of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is currently accepting applications.