Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 46-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 75,000 proud and successful alumni and partners with nearly 20,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
SUNY Empire State College seeks an Assistant Registrar in the Office of the Registrar. As a member of the registrar's leadership team, participates in planning and contributes to the overall effectiveness of the Office of the Registrar and ensures that quality services are provided to meet student and other stakeholder needs and support college priorities.
The primary focus for the position is to manage curriculum, catalog and scheduling services. The assistant registrar will work closely with the registrar to implement on time and within budget, and then maintain, the college's new catalog and curriculum management services. On-going, the assistant registrar will serve as the college's catalog editor and will administer curriculum management systems. The assistant registrar works closely with the department chairs, deans and associate deans, as well as the College Senate and relevant standing committees during the course and academic program approval processes. Collaborates with academic units and a variety of college offices to ensure that accurate and comprehensive catalogs are produced on-time each year.
- Administer the college catalog(s); including ensuring consistency of catalog and administration of college policies, as well as ensuring the college maintains complete archival versions
- Maintain accurate and current course information such as restrictions, prerequisites, co-requisites, reserved seating capacities, course notes, attributes such as cross-listings, course equivalencies/multi-designated courses, applied learning courses, and course outcomes in the appropriate systems
- Ensure that all curricula, policies and courses follow established approval processes and are accurately reflected in the catalog and student information systems
- Work closely with the catalog vendor and the Office of Information Technology Services for implementation, problem-solving, testing and software upgrades
- Serve as a resource for academic leadership and faculty for catalog changes providing guidance on curricular, catalog and scheduling processes
- Manage the preparation of the term guide/schedule of courses for current and future terms. Work with deans, associate deans, department chairs and faculty members to build the schedule of class offerings each term and the plan for the next two years, in accordance with established academic scheduling policies and procedures
- Work with the Office of Enrollment Management's operations team to maintain up-to-date information with regard to classroom inventory and classroom attributes in relevant college systems
- Work with stakeholders and relevant college offices to establish reporting tools that support planning, term scheduling and classroom use
- Attain competency in one or more of the major functions of the Office of the Registrar and support the Office of the Registrar in the areas such as degree program review, degree clearance, transfer credit evaluation; registration, record services, and implementation of new initiatives
- Develop training materials and documentation for the processes and tools for the college community and respond to various inquiries from college constituencies
- As a member of the Office of the Registrar team, participate in planning, research peer institutions and best practices, develop professional expertise, and manage projects in response to the ever-changing needs of the college community
- Attend relevant college governance meetings to provide support and guidance relevant to role in the Office of the Registrar
- Review college policies and recommend changes where needed
- Maintain strict confidentiality of student records and adhere to the requirements of the Buckley Amendment as it applies to student records
- Assists the college registrar with FERPA training development and delivery for staff and faculty
- Oversee day to day office operations in absence of registrar and associate registrar
- This position will require strong collaborative and editing skills as well as knowledge of curriculum and higher education policy. Directly related experience necessary
- Bachelor's degree
- At least 2 years' experience in a registrar's office
- Demonstrated understanding of the application of technology in delivering student services and information in an efficient and secure manner
- Experience in working with curriculum development or catalog management
- Excellent attention to detail and critical thinking skills
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to maintain productive constituent relationships
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and adhere to deadlines
- Master's Degree
- Expertise in Banner Student Module and/or Courseleaf Curriculum and Catalog management products
- May involve occasional travel
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position
Rank/Salary: $50,000+, DOQ
Applications Due by: Applications accepted until position is filled.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security