Custodial Assistant (Multiple Positions)
Under supervision, performs work of ordinary difficulty in cleaning public buildings and their immediate grounds; performs related light labor.
There is no Assignment Level for this position. All personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments; related duties may be assigned as needed.
- Sweeps, damp mops, and wet mops office floors, toilets, corridors, lobbies, and other assigned floor areas.
- Cleans washbasins and other toilet room facilities.
- Washes walls by hand with a brush or by using an electric machine.
- Scrubs floors with an electric machine; waxes and polishes floors.
- Hand scrubs stairs and stair landings.
- Empties waste basket and disposes of refuse.
- Vacuums and cleans rugs, carpets, and upholstered furniture.
- Dusts and removes and cleans window coverings such as blinds.
- Performs shoulder high dusting of walls.
- Dusts and polishes furniture and metal work.
- Cleans mirrors and glass in bookcase, doors, and restrooms.
- Washes electric light fixtures.
- Replenishes bathroom supplies in toilets.
- Sweeps sidewalks and removes snow from sidewalks; washes sidewalks and lower portion of buildings with brush and hose.
- Replaces bulbs and fuses.
- Attends a low pressure heating plant.
- May occasionally operate an elevator, move furniture, or act as watch person.
- Reports broken equipment.
- Observes safety and environmental health precautions as directed.
- Puts up safety warnings and/or stanchions for wet floors or other areas for limited access during cleaning.
- Sorts refuse for recycling.
- Cleans small kitchens and/or coffee service areas.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Campus Operations is responsible for maintaining the buildings and grounds of Hostos Community College, keeping facilities in working order and providing a comfortable working and learning environment. As part of Campus Operations, the custodial unit is responsible for the cleaning of all campus property including buildings, sidewalks and parking lots. The College is seeking applications for multiple positions to perform tasks as described in the General Duties section.
There are no formal education or experience requirements.
There are certain medical and physical requirements as established by University management.
New Hire: $29,279
Incumbent: $33, 084
This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigating to the following links: "Employment' and "Search Job Postings."
Please attach resume, cover letter and three professional references.
June 14, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Hostos Community College
Job Title: Custodial Assistant (Multiple Positions)
Job ID: 16767
Full/Part Time: Full-Time