Wig & Makeup Artisan
University of Delaware
Job Title Wig & Makeup Artisan
Job ID 104629
Location Newark, DE
Deadline: Open Until Filled
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under the limited supervision of the Costume Director, the Wig and Makeup Artisan is responsible for maintaining the integrity of the wig design throughout performance and rehearsal, to include period and specialty designs. The Wig and Makeup Artisan is able to ventilate and build wigs and facial hairpieces for productions in which there is a basic design. He/she is able to dye actors' head and facial hair to the specifications of the Costume/Wig designer. S/he performs head wraps and conducts wig fittings in cooperation with the Wig Designer and Costume Director. The incumbent must be able to create natural and specialty makeup designs in collaboration with the costume designer. S/he is responsible for cleaning the facial hair between each wearing; and putting the wigs on and taking them off each actor. S/he orders and maintains all necessary supplies for maintaining hair and make-up. The incumbent works with the Wardrobe Coordinator in maintaining costumes, running shows backstage, designing quick changes, and training the wardrobe crew. When not in performance, s/he works with the costume shop on craft projects as assigned.
This is a 9 month position.
- Fully responsible for maintaining the integrity of the wig design throughout performance/ rehearsal period, to include period and specialty designs
- Ventilate and build wigs and facial hairpieces for productions in which there is a basic design
- Ability to dye head and facial hair to the specification of the Costume/Wig designer
- Perform head wraps and conduct wig fittings in cooperation with the Wig Designer and Costume Director.
- Create natural and specialty makeup design in collaboration with the Costume Designer.
- Maintain all facial hair, hairstyles, and prosthetics to the highest standard throughout dress rehearsals and performance to the satisfaction of the wig designer, costume designer, and director.
- Support actors in dressing and quick changes for each entrance during dress rehearsals and performances.
- Assure that each performer is dressed appropriately including hair, wigs, and make up according to the design approved by the Director and Costume Designer.
- Maintain inventory of all wigs, facial pieces and prosthetics, throughout dress rehearsals and performances.
- Assist Wardrobe Coordinator with laundry, mending and pressing as assigned.
- Perform craft projects including, but not limited to footwear, millinery, and jewelry.
- Ensure all wigs, prosthetics and facial hair are safeguarded upon show closing.
- Conduct wig fittings in cooperation with Costume Director
- Supervise and train miscellaneous wage and student workers for costume run crew during each production.
- Maintain the wig and makeup area and equipment, and notify the Costume Director of necessary repairs and replacements.
- Act in concert with University and Theatre Department safety policies.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a BFA in Costume Technology with a concentration in wig design and 3 years professional wig, hair and wardrobe experience, or other equivalent combination of education and experience (i.e. MFA in Costume Technology with a concentration in wig design).
- Extensive knowledge of wig maintenance, hair styling and dying.
- Proficient in hand and machine sewing, crafts, and millinery.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure.
- Knowledge of theatre production operations and procedures.
- Knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of costume construction.
- Proficient in Excel, Word, Google Docs.
- Effective organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to teach skills and work effectively with crew.
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks.
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html