Academic Advisor Urbana UIC College of Nursing
Job Category: Academic Professional
We invite individuals to apply for the position of Academic Advisor the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) College of Nursing Urbana campus. This position is located on the University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana campus. The UIC College of Nursing is one of the premier nursing programs in the country and our mission is to transform health, healthcare, and policy through knowledge generation and translation, and education of future leaders from diverse backgrounds.
The UIC College of Nursing is a research intensive institution and is consistently ranked in the top ten of US Schools of Nursing. The Urbana regional campus is one of six UIC College of Nursing campuses in Illinois, along with Peoria, Quad Cities, Rockford, Urbana, Springfield, and Chicago making the College a unique nursing institution.
This position serves as primary academic/admissions advisor, recruiter and retention officer for the UIC College of Nursing, Urbana Regional Program and reports to the Regional Director. This includes coordinating recruitment events, marketing, meeting with prospective and current students, and working with the UIC College of Nursing Office of Academic Programs to provide information. In addition, assist the support staff with office coverage as needed.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ DUTIES
• Coordinates recruitment activities and materials with UIC CON Office of Academic Programs to facilitate efficiency of resource utilization.
• In conjunction with the Director of the Urbana Regional Program, develops a marketing plan for the region.
• Responds to all undergraduate and graduate inquiries by mail, phone, email or appointment and meets with drop-in inquiries.
• Conducts group information sessions as scheduled.
• Ensures entry of required information into College database.
• Works with potential applicants for pre-requisite completion.
• Coordinates Holistic application process for all students
• Update program plans for students into Filemaker.
• Creates and maintains current listing of admitted students.
New Student Activity Coordination
• Facilitates communication to new students (orientation, immunizations, etc.).
• Organizes and conducts graduate and undergraduate orientation sessions.
• Oversees initial immunization, background checks and drug screens. Ensures data is entered into appropriate database.
Academic Advisement/ Enrollment/Registration for Graduates and Undergraduates
• Meet regularly with students to provide personalized advice and counsel on academic issues.
• Guide students on setting academic goals.
• Advise current BSN students on course plans and program plans, confirm accuracy
• Assign and follow up on remediation plans
• Help students figure out upper division electives as needed
• Confirm Seniors complete their intent to graduate form
• Meet with and advise students dealing with personal emergencies
• Facilitates course withdrawals, adds, drops, LOAs and other academic-related actions.
• Assists students to solve program/university related issues, e.g., encumbrances, tuition issues, computer accounts, etc.
• Works with UIUC campus units to secure non-nursing prerequisite courses.
• Coordinates student enrollment each semester.
• Manages academic file system.
• Maintains current Intent to Graduate list.
• Maintain Alumni database
Student/Academic Support Activities
• Facilitates activities connected to commencement
• Serves on Graduate, Undergraduate, Recruitment, White Coat, Commencement and all other committees as assigned by the Director
• Facilitates student retention
• Coordinates and participates in annual White Coat Ceremony
• Bachelor's degree in any discipline
• Minimum of two (2) years of related experience.
• Working knowledge of University policies and procedures relating to degree programs and course development.
• Master's degree
• Background in Nursing
• Excellent writing, communication, and critical thinking skills
• Efficient PC use (all Microsoft Office applications), and experience in data-based operations
• Ability to organize, manage confidential information, and oversee special projects through to completion
• Professional behavior, flexibility to deal with frequent variations in activity level and to adjust to changing expectations.
Close Date: 06/02/2017